PDA

View Full Version : STEERING WHEEL REMOVALE

nova_boy03
26-02-04, 09:02 PM
ive got a mk1 89 nova and ive bort an after market wheel fot it!!!

wen i got home i took nut str8 off old one and started to hit it......

several hours later and after smashing few bulbd in the dash ( :cry: ) i decided to read haynes manual.....

it says.........do not attempt striking the wheel from behind as you may damage the collapsable steering coloumn............oops! :o

how the f**k do i do it?? :oops:

dave.gsi
26-02-04, 09:43 PM
lol, buy a steering wheel puller. (and a new steering coloumn by the sounds of it) :lol:

epo
26-02-04, 09:59 PM
lol, buy a steering wheel puller. (and a new steering coloumn by the sounds of it) :lol:

:lol:

unlucky mate

Jack
26-02-04, 10:17 PM
Step one of any modification: Open Haynes manual....

Alex
26-02-04, 10:23 PM
and for some reason step 2 is ALWAYS disconnect the battery.

You dont have to have a steering wheel puller, although it makes it much easier. It will come off with loads of WD40 and some force, but make sure you do not undo the securing nut fully when pulling otherwise you will have a steering wheel in the face.

mikeoxford
27-02-04, 12:56 AM
if you do use the proper tool, your best bet is to hire one form local motor factors.

there ??? to buy IIRC

i "bought" one from machine mart. kept it clean and packaging mint and returned it unsued as it was the "wrong tool for the job" :lol: somewhere else i cant go again! did that with my valve spring compressor once too :? they didnt recognise me :lol:

nova_boy03
28-02-04, 10:47 AM
i took the thing into work n showed one of the techs......

typically he juz struck it twice each side ***BOSH BOSH*** and the flippin thing came str8 off :oops:

oh dear but thanx alot boys im sure your methods would have worked too!!! ta very much

chow for now

richie

2litreturbo
28-02-04, 12:12 PM
have someone pull it from the top as you hit it from the bottom. Otherwise the wheel just absorbs the impact (you probably noticed it vibrating)

I know you've already done it but for future reference. Also, put the new one on with some copper grease.

nova_boy03
29-02-04, 11:28 PM
im glad u sed that actually i sed to my old man come

outside n ava look at my wheel and when he did he

sed y is copper grease on the middle bit (where i id

rubbed my arm accidently on the centre cap!!!) i sed

juz thort id put it in there to be sure the job was a

good'n i put copper grease in there - he sed ru sure

thats rite to do that?? i then had second thorts!! but

as u sed that - panics over LOL

cheerz lads.............

a2lt16v
01-03-04, 09:27 AM
thats the one hit it sideways twice by indicator stalk towards passenger door and they come off most i have ever had to hit one was six

Will
01-03-04, 10:18 AM
thats the one hit it sideways twice by indicator stalk towards passenger door and they come off most i have ever had to hit one was six

hitting it sideways by the indicator stalk wud be hitting towards the driver door? which way do you mean, shall give that a go when i swap a few wheels over next

a2lt16v
01-03-04, 10:39 AM
oh yes wiper stalk been driving my chevette for too long not been in nova for 3 months sorry i stand corrected

scott.parker
01-03-04, 07:56 PM
NOW mine was so dam hard to take off it was silly!!!
in all i had tryed taking it off about 23times in 3day's,even when i got the correct puller"correct" my arse,it didnt fit properly so had to mod it a bit,well affter all the time and effort it did come off...thank fuk,and it only takes ten minutes to put on the after market one.. :lol:

Oh and then u drive it and notice it's not straight!!! :x
scott :)

corsa gt
01-03-04, 08:25 PM
Oh and then u drive it and notice it's not straight!!! :x
scott :)
They never are, fukn weels :lol:

dave.gsi
01-03-04, 10:59 PM
^^ lol, i had that in my old car, reaally pissed me off

scott.parker
01-03-04, 11:05 PM
it dosnt matter how may times you reealighn the splines on the boss it still dose it, i spent days trying,but your ethere out too the right say 1inch out off level or about 1an halth the to you left! it really pisses you off but did try get it sorted when the garage had a look at the wheel alighnment,bit better now..

scott :D