PDA

View Full Version : C. Locking

Nova_Tek
26-02-04, 06:43 PM
Rite im soon to get my central locking kit.

Just wondering where I can put the wiring through.

I was finking drilling a hole in the door and one below the bottom door hinges like standard cars have and feeding it thru there.

Would this make any structural differences to the car Or will it be ok to drill these holes?

Thanx :wink:

DUNOVA.
26-02-04, 06:49 PM
Should'nt be to bad if you seal the bare metal,Is there not alredy hole :?:

Neil.
26-02-04, 07:04 PM
it might not have a hole if the doors do not have leccy windows or locking, not sure tho.

Adam
26-02-04, 07:13 PM
Do what they did in the Nova Max Power book, drill the holes in the door/body then feed the wires through a rubber hose thing(i think they are called gaitors). It makes the job look more professional and you don't run the risk of the wires rubbing through onto bare metal. You can get the rubber gaitor thing from a scrappy. Off the doors from any car with them (or a tailgate from summit like an estate sierra).
As for the holes you are putting them in the correct place, only the body part may be difficult to drill as its like a base to support the roof, and the metal is thicker. SO use the holes that you said and you should be fine
Hope this helps

Jack
26-02-04, 08:37 PM
If your car has no wires going to the door already you'll have to drill the holes yourself. I've done this on mine, its a dead easy job.

Open the door and take a look, you'll see an indentation on the door near the bottom. Drill there and you'll be fine (same goes for the door frame, but take the interior side panel trim off to feel around on the inside to make sure u don't hit the hinge plate). If i remember rightly, these holes ought to stagger the wires too so they don't bunch up and get caught in the door.

File round the holes to remove any rough edges and burrs, best to put a lick of touch up paint on as well to cover up any bare metal. You'd be wise using gaitors, i found ones from a Fiesta tailgate were a good size, and came with a lip to hook into the hole. Should cost pennies from a scrappy.

Adam
27-02-04, 03:06 PM
Deffo go for the gaitors as i mentioned earlier. You could probably get a set for about 50p from a scrappers.

novaexplod
27-02-04, 03:54 PM
do u mean gromets?? :roll:

Adam
27-02-04, 03:58 PM
Aren't grommets little rubber caps, gaitors are like hoses that wires are put inside to protect them.

novaexplod
27-02-04, 04:00 PM
yeh there tapered rubber caps with a hole thru the middle.

Adam
27-02-04, 07:01 PM
Gaitors are like a long hose thing that you can't see the wires. They link the gap between the car body and the car door. They are like tubes.
Whereas grommets are what you put in the bulkhead to feed wires through inside the car. They are caps with a hole in, they could be used but then the wires would still be showing.
With the gaitors you can't see the wires as the are covered by the gaitors, it prevents the wires getting snagged/pulled.

They are two different things. :D

Jack
27-02-04, 07:05 PM
^^ yep

and to confuse things some gaitors have built in grommets at the end :p

Adam
27-02-04, 07:15 PM
Well i think i have sorted the confusion between the two.
But Road Knight is correct, most gaitors have grommets at the end to support the wire<
LOL :D

Jack
27-02-04, 07:25 PM
yeah, the fiesta tailgate ones i mentioned earlier do. Handy cos you can push the grommet piece into the hole and it'll hold itself in place