PDA

View Full Version : Engine managment...

Ben
24-02-04, 05:29 PM
Where is the best place to buy engine management such as MBE/DTA/Omex and wich is the best in performance/Value for money?

(before anyone starts this isnt a technical question its general as want a general opinion not info on fitting etc)

cooper_nova
24-02-04, 05:33 PM
try deamon tweeks they sell that stuff, but don't know about which is better soz m8

Ben
24-02-04, 05:35 PM
Thanks mate but wouldnt buy anything from Theiving peaks.

Dpnova
24-02-04, 05:43 PM
try these

http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/home.html

Will
24-02-04, 05:54 PM
velos sell DTA, i spoke to DTA directly and thats there standard RRP they sell to customers at............

?648 for EXP48 ecu afaik

Ben
24-02-04, 06:42 PM
Cav 1.6 dizzy it is then.

Stuart
24-02-04, 07:06 PM
Omex and lumenition (more or less the same) are "good value" but lack a bit of refinement that DTA and MBE have.

i say good value being about 300 notes, and if your just after ign control then you can save a bit more dosh as a "half" ecu is cheaper.

novax
25-02-04, 12:08 AM
ME!

Omex is expencive and mapping would be required as well. (?600)

MBE 967 (?480) is what I'm using and I also make the looms for ?250 I assume you're talking about a 1.6 16V? I have the software and a basic map, but it would need RR time to set it up properly, as will mine.

so1o
25-02-04, 12:41 AM
Me, CP and Breeny had a quick chat about this. Well to cut a long story short we came to the conclusion that for me the DTA would be a good option because its been tried and tested by lots of people, plus help is readilly available, ease of use, and CP can give us a hand :lol:

Anyway heres a link I found whilst looking into engine management...

http://www.manchesterminis.richardswebdesigns.co.uk/Links/engine_management.htm

Solo

Ben
25-02-04, 12:55 AM
Its for our Black 2.0l 16v engine, are going to fit twin 45's on it and wanted to fit aftermarket management rather than the dizzy method as im not trusted to drive it with no rev limiter :roll:

2litreturbo
25-02-04, 01:21 AM
DTA is awesome. You can fit a sensor to the rear wheel and input the diameter of the wheels via the laptop. then, if the front wheels spin faster than the rear, it first retards the timing, then the injector cycle is reduced.
Traction control in a nova!!!!

Ste_Nova
25-02-04, 08:59 AM
I also make the looms for ?250

:o

Bennovas
25-02-04, 09:14 AM
SBD sell the MBE management system. Their website is

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/[/url]

NovaNeil
25-02-04, 12:26 PM
The EXP48 direct from DTA is ?550.... But if your running Carbs you only need the Version that controls Iginition.... As you won't be using a fuel map (As needed in Injection situations) This unit is ?350... It looks exactly the same as the EXP48 but just does what you need. You then need a Loom (QED make them for around ?300) then it needs mapping ( Unless you can find someone who have already done a map for that engine, and you can just use that and have it fined tuned to suit yours) If you have to create a new map it will cost anything up to ?500.

I can't recommend DTA enough! :D Never had a problem. Its a really simple set up (Not many wires needed) and is really versitile to use. Plus you have the option to run Launch control (which I haven't tried yet).

MBE is much the same as DTA I think, but isn't quite so Versitile....

novax
25-02-04, 05:06 PM
Ste as usual you have to comment. ?250 is cheap, have you seen the prices ready made looms go for? obviously not. There is easily 8 hours work in a loom plus all the cable, heatshrink and connectors

Ben - loks like DTA is the winner to me.

2litreturbo
25-02-04, 05:29 PM
novax - would you be prepared to supply a wiring diagram for a fee? That way it saves you time and parts!

Stuart
25-02-04, 06:56 PM
lmao DTA supply you with the wiring diagram.

Ste is right with the :o 250 and 300 its waaaaaay too expensive

I'd say that 100 is tops for a loom, even buying the bits. I'd use the same colour cable throughout with wire tags (proper ones) etc to save dosh.

mapping dosent require RR time either, it gets you the basic map but then you need to drive it on the road and use the ECU logs to see where you need to improve things. Offline mapping is also good if you have the patience, like MC and CP have done and its worked.

but hey if you like to be buggered by companies go ahead lmao loom making, mapping etc is not hard, but its the "electrics" so people are scared of it, DONT BE its not gonna bite you (well an HT lead could lol)

CP
25-02-04, 10:52 PM
Well since my name has been mentioned here's what I actually think.

The main choices you have are MBE, Emerald, DTAfast and Omex.
Others tend to be for serious competition stuff and are very pricey.

AFAIK all perform fine. I've seen/read them all fitted and running successfully. Differences from what I've heard lie in the ease of use department but this tends to come down to personal preference.

I use DTA and am very happy with it but I would be quite content to use any of the others - they all work. None are cheap. My experience is that trying to cut corners in the cost of tuning plans leads to unreliable and disappointing results. Best place to spend your money is on a tuning expert :wink:

novax
25-02-04, 11:26 PM
?250 is actually a good price. SBD charge ?336.38 ( might even need VAT adding to that) and Burtonpower charge ?500 for their replacement Cossie loom. I can't buy the kit for ?100. Sorry not going to supply the wiring diagram as it took us hours to work it out. Not really mine to offer either.

2litreturbo
25-02-04, 11:43 PM
i'm gunna work out the diagram and make a loom just for tha sake of it. prob do it next weekend.

There was a company in maldon who made looms for Pectel ECU's on cossies and they were only about 150 and they have lots more sensors than any of the novas running advanced management. Most were running 8 injectors, 2 MAP sensors, EGT sensor, IGT sensor, water injection, antilag, electronic boost, ECU controlled radiator, in car mapping, and lots more stuff.

Ste_Nova
26-02-04, 08:51 AM
Ste as usual you have to comment. ?250 is cheap, have you seen the prices ready made looms go for? obviously not. There is easily 8 hours work in a loom plus all the cable, heatshrink and connectors

i did ricks autronic one for ?30 labour

a2lt16v
26-02-04, 10:50 AM
i say make a looom and publish the diagram and stop them selling them for so much

novax
26-02-04, 05:53 PM
Fine by me, I'm not bothered about making looms for people, I was mearly saying that's what it costs for me to do it. This is a business not doing it for a mate.

NovaNeil
26-02-04, 07:16 PM
I agree with novax. ?250 is a good price for a perfessional to make a decent loom. They can me made on the cheap, but chances are they won't last unless the person who made it knows what they are doing.

2litreturbo
27-02-04, 01:09 AM
if they didn't know what they were doing, how would they know what to do??? :?

Ben
27-02-04, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys has helped a lot.

I personally would rather pay the SBD price of ?330 than pay ?250 for a home made one.

Irrelanvent anyhow as Wills dad owns a large auto electricians so would be ludicros to pay somebody else. would rather pay them for there time. He has said on going by previous ones theyve made he can get us one made a lot cheaper than that.