PDA

View Full Version : Santa Pod - The Results

Adam Moran
22-02-04, 08:19 PM
Well it was BLOODY cold for starters and the conditions were far from ideal but i got the result i wanted.

My car's best run was a 15.5 with a reaction of 0.769 (Karl was drving) I managed a 15.8 with a reaction of 1.120 (My first run ever)

I really thinking that with a few things tweaking such as loosing weight in the car, better tyres, carbs set-up, better weather and a near perfect reaction 14.999 (or less :wink: ) is do-able.

Did anyone else from Novaload go? I only saw white-gsi there.

Ad

karl Rowntree
22-02-04, 08:36 PM
Really enjoyed today even though i had a hang-over from hell and it was damn freazing, even snowing at one point!

Met up with adam on the way down as i went down in my mates mk1 astra turbo with andy b.

The day didnt get started until 12 as it was raining but soon cleared up so we could get a few hours in.

Thanks very much ad for letting me run your car, i really enjoyed it! Think you need to sort the front springs out as it was lifting alot and losing traction, also get it on the rolling road as i think it still has more to come. But for its first outing it was great :wink: I was beating a 2l turbo off this web site up until 3 quarter distance then he flue past. Not sure of the drivers name though?

My second run was in the astra. My mate was having real problems getting grip only managing high 15's so i had a go and took it really steady off the line and managed a 14.8, andy had a go and did a 15.5. Think its time to put the diff back in maybe

Thanks again to adam and ed for letting me run there cars :wink:

Adam Moran
22-02-04, 08:46 PM
Yeah i could see it lifting when i watched you go down. Will stick my old springs in this week and get Coilsprings to drop the new ones to -80mm.

Ive got the bug for 1/4 mile runs now lol

Ad

karl Rowntree
22-02-04, 09:09 PM
Wait till you go on a race track ad, thats when it starts to get fun and expensive!

mikeoxford
23-02-04, 12:59 AM
you could knock a few tenths of a second off by swapping your FD .. .. .. you could do it in an afternooon.

sounds like a good day was to be had :+:

Jim
23-02-04, 08:16 AM
I don't know why, but I read that time as 14.5 for a second, lol.

Sounds like you had fun :) I remember my first (and so far only day) up the strip. I was really nervous on my first run, but after I crossed the finish line I wanted to get straight back into the queue, lol.

Looking forward to the next chance I get to go up the strip, my cars the same set up as yours and is currently being rebuilt, so im looking forward to getting it run in and up the strip :)

Jim

NovaNeil
23-02-04, 12:30 PM
Well done Adam. Sorry I couldn't make it :( I would of loved to see it run. But not long to some more Santa Pod action.........

mark_GSi
23-02-04, 06:13 PM
i owned that white GSI :D

Adam Moran
23-02-04, 06:30 PM
Ah right! did you manage to get a smooth run in?

Shame the weather wasnt a little better but ive got a good benchmark to improve on now.

Got a list of things im going to try. I'm going to do everything i can to get into the 14's (short of No2)

Ad

Jim
23-02-04, 06:56 PM
Did you buy this engine from "Jonlem" of mig?

Jim

Adam Moran
23-02-04, 06:59 PM
Yeah, James and Rob where their names. Really good guys, know what there doing as well :wink:

Jim
23-02-04, 07:09 PM
:)

It's comforting to know that you've bought an engine thats been built properly.

Reducing weight in the car will definatley help with the power to weight ratio, but saying this, Dan from the site is running pretty much standard curb weight and yet managed to get 14.94 and 14.98 on his first 2 runs on his first time at the pod. He removed 50kg from his car originally, but put 26kg back on with a cage and is running an extra 20kg of weight with his choice of wheels. Perhaps the way the weight has been distributed helped him get a good start and carry momentum up the strip.

Either way I'm hoping to beat his time when I get my car back ;)

Jim

mark_GSi
23-02-04, 07:18 PM
i wrote the GSI off this morning m8, totally lost control and hit a lorry. cant remember much bout it at all

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Adam Moran
23-02-04, 07:20 PM
very true.

I'm going to drop the front another 20mm, get some better (softer) tyres, take a bit more weight out ( im going to try and loose some as well ;-) ) and get the egine tunned up oh and take the filters off!

Mind you i think if you can get a really good reaction time youve won half the battle.

Jim
23-02-04, 07:24 PM
very true.

I'm going to drop the front another 20mm, get some better (softer) tyres, take a bit more weight out ( im going to try and loose some as well ;-) ) and get the egine tunned up oh and take the filters off!

Mind you i think if you can get a really good reaction time youve won half the battle.

A good start is vital provided you don't mess up the gear changes up the strip :) Saying that, the conditions can make a massive difference. When I did my 3 runs, I got my best reaction time on my final run, yet this was not my quickest time. It was just after the lunch break, so the track had time to cool down slightly. I noticed this as I had a lot more wheelspin, especially in second gear.

You'll have to let us know when you're next going up the strip and what changes you make.

Keep us updated

Jim

Adam Moran
23-02-04, 07:24 PM
i wrote the GSI off this morning m8, totally lost control and hit a lorry. cant remember much bout it at all

Blimey! Are you ok?

It was a really smooth car as well.

How bad is it? Can you salvage any parts?

Gutted for you mate :(

mark_GSi
23-02-04, 07:29 PM
not really, broken finger and stiches for a few cuts, be able to salavage sum parts i think :(

krobinson
23-02-04, 08:52 PM
not really, broken finger and stiches for a few cuts, be able to salavage sum parts i think :(

Ahhh shit mate, really sorry to hear that, Such a shame!

But the main thing is, its only a car, a load of metal, and it would have been much more a tragedy if you'd been killed! Glad your still with us, and dont let it put you off owning another nova!

Chin up mate!!

Keith

mark_GSi
23-02-04, 08:54 PM
thanks m8, i will get another 1 i think i love them so much

just in lot of pain at the mo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

karl Rowntree
24-02-04, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear abot your crash mark, was yours the nova with the body kit on? If so looked really nice mate and hope you can salvage some of the bits as it looked as though alot of effort had gone into it. Get well soon.

Ad, the reaction time doesnt effect your final time, for example if you have a 0.856 reaction time compared to a 1.256 time your final run time will still be the same. They dont take the overall reaction time into account. It does help to get a quick time off the line, but the overall time starts as soon as your wheels cross the start line.

I thought for years if i could get a quick reaction time i would do 10 second quarters :lol:

mark_GSi
25-02-04, 10:07 AM
yes m8 the white nova was mine

really upset bout it as i had owned the car for 5 1/2 years

Ste_Nova
25-02-04, 10:17 AM

pics please