PDA

View Full Version : Gear Ratios and clutch noises...

nova_rally
21-02-04, 07:30 PM
First:

My clutch makes a sort of rubbing noise when I release it with the selector in neutral and the revs drop ever so slightly. Clutch or gearbox problem? (and how to fix!)

Second:

Whats the gear ratios of an Astramax van with a 4.53 diff? (and what gearbox is it). I have an F13CR and only want to swap the diff but if my gearbox is about to die then I'll be looking for a replacement!

Alan

Neil.
21-02-04, 07:56 PM
mine made that noise exactly the same, ran it for about a month with it getting worse becoz i had a new engine to go in, the gears got harder and harder to select untill the gear froze up and stuck. so get it fixed or replaced soon.

nova_rally
21-02-04, 08:19 PM
Yeh my mates did it for ages untill 5th gear vanished, then the clutch died and took the gearbox with it!
Problem is I don't know what exactly is casuing the problem in the first place to get it looked at, so I don't know if I can keep my CR gears with the 4.53 Diff!

Alan

Stuart
22-02-04, 12:43 PM
feck you want a 4.53 FD, wheel spin apleanty in 1st and 2nd then lol

the "rubbing" noise could be the clutch release bearing, they always make a racket. only worth changing when you do the clutch.

if the gears are getting hard to select then its likely that a baulk ring has lost the plot and jammed a selctor. not a hard job to fix, just takes time stripping the gear casette down.

Barn
22-02-04, 01:07 PM
if the gears are getting hard to select then its likely that a baulk ring has lost the plot and jammed a selctor.
how about fresh gearbox oil first?

nova_rally
22-02-04, 01:29 PM
The clutch release bearing was split in half on my mates car when we took it out! kind of worrying.

Right I'll try some new oil first, and then maybe pull the clutch out and have a look at the release bearings.

Alan

Stuart
22-02-04, 01:37 PM
drain the oil into a white tub (pref) and look for glitter. it should be bronze/goldy colour. if any silver is in there then worry lol

if its bronze then its just a fecked baulk ring. a days work to strip and rebuild the box. (i mean gears off the shaft strip)

nova_rally
22-02-04, 03:22 PM
So if I buy the Astramax van gearbox (with 4.53 diff) and strip them both I can then in theory rebuild 1 gearbox using the F13CR gears etc and the 4.53 diff, and whichever parts are best for everything else?

That sound like a good plan? I'm no gearbox expert (yet)! I'll need to get myself some circlip pliers from somewhere.... (Took us about half an hour to get the circlip off when we changed the clutch on my mates car, mind you it was nearly midnight!)

Alan

Stuart
23-02-04, 06:55 PM
i wasnt (and am still not) a gearbox pro when i started to srtip a Quaife cluster down.

just needs a bit of methodical placing/marking of gears etc.

take yer time and job done

mikeoxford
23-02-04, 11:08 PM
CP made it look easy when we did mine :lol:

in fairness theres not much to it

2litreturbo
23-02-04, 11:19 PM
if you do strip it, take some pictures along the way. Might help othe rpeople in the future.

mikeoxford
23-02-04, 11:20 PM
you need to take the selector off the top, before anything else will slide out or come apart, but you probably already knew that

mike 8)

nova_rally
24-02-04, 09:40 AM
I know it now! lol!

Got the Haynes back now so I shouldnt go to far wrong.... :?

I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures!
:D
Alan

Stuart
24-02-04, 06:17 PM
the haynes will only help with taking the wheel off lmao

unless you get the gearbox manual (which seems hard to get hold of)

2litreturbo
24-02-04, 11:28 PM
halfords can get them all in next day if they dont have it on the shelf. Bout the only thing they are good for!