PDA

View Full Version : Lost and muddled up !

L1OONEY
19-02-04, 01:57 AM
Hi ive had this nova for a while now and have been gettin engine probs, well after spending loads on the engine I found out I was running on to cylinders, well got that sorted (phew) then i was driving home monday and my stereo started crackling and so my sub went dead, so i took my face off, off due to battery going flat all the time, why fcuk knows, now today I was driving and my light went dim on my dash and head lights then it started playing up with no power at all and the battery will go flat straight away, I left it for 15mins bumped it just as i got home (2mins away) happend again Ive took my amp and sub out but still happening IM GOING MAD!!! please give me some answers before I kill it cheers........

Neil.
19-02-04, 02:05 AM
mate i can tell you what it is, forgive me if its wrong tho. your ALTERNATOR, its the thing that charges up your battery, if it's not working then your battery will never get charged hence u having to bump start it and ur lights going dim and sub and radio not working, i think that if ur running a sub and amp then your using alot of the battery up, even if ur alternator is working ull be draining it alot.

Wen i brought myself a new battery i didnt realise how badly my lights didnt work properly, really dim but i had go used to it.

Get yourself a new altornator mate, and battery if this one is old as it might be shagged.

Neil

Euan
19-02-04, 09:05 AM
i have a gte alternator for sale :) :)

rgv_stu
19-02-04, 09:30 AM
does the alternator light come on when you turn ignition on ??
if not thats your fault - a blown bulb
an alternator needs an exciter current to charge and it gets that from the power to the bulb :)

L1OONEY
19-02-04, 01:21 PM
U all sound sure about the alternator, ven my exhaust was popin that was wit my foot down on a hill weird as.
Ok cheers if any more ideas post em..................

Dwaine

matty172
19-02-04, 01:41 PM
yeah get a diesel battery. n an alternator off an astra or cav. highest u cn find. mines off a cav. 75 amp rated. n me battery off a minibus. 450 cca. wot nova is it. if its injection, your ecu needs power to it to control ya engine. if its not gettn enuf yer car will run like a lada on 2 cylinders.

rgv_stu
19-02-04, 05:02 PM
you sure the ground wire from gearbox to chassis is ok or the ground from alternator to engine,or the ground from battery to shell ??

epo
19-02-04, 08:52 PM
^^^^^^
me gte had the same prob alternater earth cable had snapped

me sri sometimes wudnt start earth from chasis 2 gear box