PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Boot Help !!!!!

Nick
15-02-04, 10:20 PM
I got a smooth boot and it's being srpayed n everythin. But i got a few questions about it

1 - When i come to put it on, do i just cut the wires of that go to my windscreen wiper ? and when i slam it shut, it'l lock up n i will only beable to get to it from the inside untill i get a boot pop ?

2 - Does my boot just bolt on and off ?

3 - The boot that im putting on has Window tints, if i peel the window tint off will i beable to clean it up enough or should i swap the tinted window for the window i have in my boot at the moment ?

4 - If i need to swap the windows over, how much will that cost ?

5 - How do i take my Heated rear windscreen thing off and put it back on again ? does the little thing just clip on and off ?

I'm paying 40 quid for the smoothed boot, so i really don't wanna spend any more money on having to do extra things ! Cheers !

XZiBiT
15-02-04, 11:29 PM
1..yes untill you get a boot release solinoid you will have to pop it ur self
2.... theres 2 pins at the top off the boot remove them and the lid will fall off(before you remove them make sure some one is holding it)
3....you can clean it off but it will take ages if your gonna clean it off make sure you do it before you put the lid on makes for an easyer life :D
4...not alot around ?15-20
5....yes theres a plug on ether side of the window just kinda clips on/off
hope this helps

DazK
16-02-04, 01:39 AM
I got a smooth boot and it's being srpayed n everythin. But i got a few questions about it

1 - When i come to put it on, do i just cut the wires of that go to my windscreen wiper ? and when i slam it shut, it'l lock up n i will only beable to get to it from the inside untill i get a boot pop ?

2 - Does my boot just bolt on and off ?

3 - The boot that im putting on has Window tints, if i peel the window tint off will i beable to clean it up enough or should i swap the tinted window for the window i have in my boot at the moment ?

4 - If i need to swap the windows over, how much will that cost ?

5 - How do i take my Heated rear windscreen thing off and put it back on again ? does the little thing just clip on and off ?

I'm paying 40 quid for the smoothed boot, so i really don't wanna spend any more money on having to do extra things ! Cheers !

1- if u follow the wires inside the tailgate ull see a little clip where they join toghether, take the wire apart and pull it free from the tailgate

2- to remove the tailgate- theres 2 pins at the top, pull the little clip of the side of each pin with a pair of pliers, knock the pins out, then u need to remove the boot lifter, 13mm(i think) spanner, tailgate will now come off.

3- tint should come off quite easily, once all the tint is removed use some white spirit(or similair) to remove the residue

4- changing glass is really easy on nova's, go round the edge of window seal(on the inside) with a flat headed screwdriver, and gently lift the rubber slightly away from the metal, then u "should" be able to push the rubber outwards over the metal with ur thumbs/fingers, go all the way round till the glass can be removed from the tailgate, re-fitting is the reverse of removal

5- the black clip just pulls off yes.

P.S- u should invest in a Haynes manual :P

Nick
17-02-04, 02:52 PM
Yes i probably should buy a haynes Manual !

Thanks alot for the help, just another couple of questions

When i've finally got my new boot on (which is coming today !) all my wiper motor wires and washer jet wires, should i just leave them in. What would happen if i pressed my rear window wash button ? surely the washer fluid would just leak out of the unconnected tube ? or should i block the end of the tube off ?

As the heated rear screen filament is on the inside of the window , i presume the window tint film will be on the outside ? don't want to damage the filament cos i don't really want to swap the windows.

cheers for the help, i'l get some pics up soon when it's done.

Jack
17-02-04, 03:09 PM
Don't press the lever for rear wash then :)

Definately block the end of the tube off, use a hot air gun or back of a soldering iron to melt it closed. I tied the tube up with a cable tie round by the pump as well when i did it once.

Alternatively, if you have the time and patience, you'd be best removing the hose all together, but i'm not sure where it runs so u might have to remove some of the headlining to get at it.

Window tint film will probably be on the inside to stop it from being scratched or peeled off.