PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SPi

day
14-02-04, 02:03 PM
ive got myself a nova with a 1.4 SPi engine. they have a CAT and i was wondering if this slowed it down much. i have a written off 1.2 and was thinkin if i can get rid of the cat box and swap it for a piece of my 1.2 exhaust system. would it be worth the bother?

is the CAT the closest box to the engine?

or would a new exhaust system be alot better? any recomendations?

also what would be involved in fitting the 1.2 head (carbed engine if it makes any difference) onto my 1.4SPi engine?

would an induction kit do much for more power either? does any one know if it will it give as much change in throttle response as my bolt on k and n did for my 1.2?

DUNOVA.
14-02-04, 05:18 PM
1.4 sPi engine :o

geordie_racer
14-02-04, 05:19 PM
yes its worth getting rid of the cat you dont need it anyway just put the full 1.2 system on instead of changing parts around or get a system from a sr or gte/gsi with the twin downpipes.

as for the head very simple remove the manifolds, undo the hea bolts take off the old head, remove old headgasket, put new headgasket on new head on new head bolts in torque them correctly then replace the manifolds. thats only a rough guide, ud be better getting rid of the spi altogether if your swapping the head either use the carb system from the 1.2 or use a 1.4mpi head from an astra or nova sri

chris

Ste_Nova
14-02-04, 05:49 PM
swap center section for 1.2 one

head swaps are a no no on the spi engines

day
14-02-04, 06:04 PM
what do you mean by centre section?

Cheese
14-02-04, 06:20 PM
Nova exhaust system is basically in 3 pieces:

Manifold and downpipes, runs from the head and down under the sump..
Centre section where your cat and mid silencer will be
Backbox

Hope that heps mate :)

AnThoNYnOvA
14-02-04, 06:27 PM
take the cat out smash the stuff out on the inside put it make sorted.

day
14-02-04, 06:31 PM
cheers so ill deffo swap over the two boxes nearest to the front, the cat and one silencer. thanks for the advice.

why isnt swapping the head over a good idea? not doubting you just want to know why.

and would it be an easy job putting the 1b1 carb onto my 1.4 engine. would the 1b1 (with bolt on filter) be any better than spi (with induction kit when i can afford it)? would i need some adaptor or just a simple swap. and id have to have a manual choke then . would i? how easy is it to feed that wire through to the front. is it just a case of making a hole for the choke wire?

or i could just swap it for mpi of a gsi/gte are mpi found on sri's? because this might make it easier for me to find.

day
14-02-04, 06:33 PM
so maybe ill just smash out the inside of the cat. cheers. probly be easier than gettin my f*ck*d 1.2 on ramps.

Snowface
15-02-04, 12:38 AM
take the cat out smash the stuff out on the inside put it make sorted.

keep the cat, u'll need it when u come to MOT ur car.

Just swap it back when it comes to MOT.

AnThoNYnOvA
15-02-04, 12:46 AM
depends on who does your MOT, :wink: but ill agree with snowface you will need to put the cat back on when u go to the MOT because of emmisions (sp?)

geordie_racer
15-02-04, 03:14 PM
for fuck sake why dont any of you read what is put in other posts, NO NOVA OF ANY AGE NEEDS A CAT FOR AN MOT THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT ON THE MINISTRY OF TRANSPORTS LIST FOR REQUIRING A CAT FOR AN EMMISIONS TEST i know this from working in a garage and seeing the damn list/book

chris