PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Carb, Rolling Roaded @ 96bhp?

krobinson
13-02-04, 08:41 PM
A Guy on one of our local forums claims to have a 1.2 sitting at 96bhp, proven on a rolling road! Here's how he got the power (his own words):

"Nova 1.3sr cam box with cam, no more than 40 from a scrappy
1.6 valve lifters, preferably of a gte or gsi nova
adjust the ignition timing
set of quod spark plugs
set of 8mm silicon leads
webber twinchoke or 1.3sr twin choke carb running a k+n bolt on
remove the head and valves, skim the valves
remove the inlet manifold, polish the inside of it, and i mean not til its shiny, but til its smooth
match the inlet wholes to the head, so as they are the exact same size, done with paint and a dremmel multi tool
fit any corsa with a larger engine's exhaust, and smash the f**k out of the cat
match the exhaust in the same way
run it constantly on texaco 97ron, or higher if can be found, and use silkoleen boost enhancer constantly (bought from hurst motorcycles)
and a few other bits, which some people probably do, but i had to find out myself and do myself, so no one will have them done but me"

Possible? I'm trying to get him to scan the rolling road printout if he still has it!

Keith

dan_mk1
13-02-04, 08:47 PM
set of quod spark plugs
set of 8mm silicon leads

lol, there the secret weapons! :wink:
seriously that sounds really doubtful, optimistic roaling road?

Nath
13-02-04, 09:10 PM
i want to do it too mine now lol.

epo
13-02-04, 09:13 PM
what was cp lookin 2 get out of his
when its built

peester
13-02-04, 11:34 PM
when its built

yeah get the doctor; he'll know.
it is a big spec and fair paly to him all he needs to do is come down a rwyb.... proove it.
surely a stonger bootom end and nos is the way to go with big power in small cc engine?? (and hope.)

Will
13-02-04, 11:57 PM
when its built

yeah get the doctor; he'll know.
it is a big spec and fair paly to him all he needs to do is come down a rwyb.... proove it.
surely a stonger bootom end and nos is the way to go with big power in small cc engine?? (and hope.)

100+bhp and that was with a lot spent just to show u can when i say a lot im talking a grand on the block +cam + head with big valves + cam etc etc etc

that figure is total bollocks, tell him to stick his head back up his arse and keep it there where it will be much more use
will

SKoob
14-02-04, 12:08 AM
when i went to get me first nova, the bloke selling it had 2 novas, both 1.2's, 1 was a merit with a big exhaust, 1.6 carb and and itg air filter and was the 1 i bought :roll:. The other was a swing that had had a lot of work done the engine, i.e. head work, lightened, balanced, weber 32/34 carb and was producing about 95bhp. so what is said about the 1.2 in the post sounds a bit dodgey to me :|

Will
14-02-04, 12:20 AM
and was producing about 95bhp

this is also bollocks arghhhhhh FFS

SKoob
14-02-04, 12:22 AM
it was ture, i saw the paper work, i'm sure more was done but can't rememeber, it was about a year ago and was too excited about the beast i had purchased :lol:

peester
14-02-04, 07:53 AM
95 bhp is twice as much as what a 1.2 std outputs.(45bhp) Its not possible to acheive any more than 70 bhp out of em i don't think unless its nos.
the 1.6 8v can't achieve 200bhp with a rebore, headwork etc can it?
nor the 1.4 8v can't achieve 164bhp with some mods. so why/how shud a 1.2?

Will
14-02-04, 09:25 AM
100bhp is possible but not with what the jokers above are on abt, go back to bed and your dream (p.s. grumpy git today dont ask)

Gazza14SR
14-02-04, 10:25 AM
Got a mag at work which is about 3-4 yrs old and its got a stripped out battered track nova which is a 1.2turbo pushing out over 130horses. I'll try and post the feature next week.

benji
14-02-04, 11:13 AM
you can change the bore and stroke to make it 1400cc. 100 bhp don't seem too improbable after doing that. if i said my 1.4 was making 100 bhp no one would be surprised.

dan_mk1
14-02-04, 11:25 AM
95 bhp is twice as much as what a 1.2 std outputs.(55bhp) Its not possible to acheive any more than 70 bhp out of em i don't think unless its nos.
the 1.6 8v can't achieve 200bhp with a rebore, headwork etc can it?
nor the 1.4 8v can't achieve 164bhp with some mods. so why/how shud a 1.2?

Ste_Nova
14-02-04, 12:08 PM
lol

i'm running a 1.4sr

new 1.4 cam and followers
weber 32/34 carb
4 branch and large bore exhaust
2mm overbore
1.2 head, slight porting
bosch leads
vauxhall v plugs
new cap/arm with arm mod

i'd be suprised if it was anything over 76bhp

Stuart
15-02-04, 11:19 AM
100bhp per litre is possible from any NA engine, BUT it requires a hefty ammount of expensive work to do it (and preferably 4 valves per cylinder)

so prehaps this guy was at powerzone, or a RR at a boyracers day out eg trax, msc etc lol

RobIsGrt18
15-02-04, 05:54 PM
dremmel multi tool, HAHAHA !!

:roll:

CP
16-02-04, 08:59 PM
Its completely feasible cos the 1.2 is heavily detuned - there is way more power to be had out them than you would think. You cant apply the same rule stick to them that you might to an SR or GSi

This instance sounds dubious cos its not helped by being badly written - he states that he has had the valves skimmed which is probably sposed to read had the head skimmed. I think quite a lot of detail has been missed out.
For instance if its a 96 hp engine it will have had to have the CR raised a lot from std which on a 1.2 will involve decking the block as well as skimming the head.

If the what he has listed are all thats been done then no way 96

Ste_Nova
17-02-04, 08:49 AM
If the what he has listed are all thats been done then no way 96

are you even gonna guess at my bhp? :roll:

MC
20-02-04, 06:22 PM
Doesn't look like it Ste! :lol: