PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Remove A Mk2 GSi Front Bumper Off My 1992 K 1.2i?

1992nova
12-02-04, 10:55 PM
as above, where are the screws to take it off? is it alot of hassle?

ive never removed a front bumper before, so all the help will be apreciated!

mikeoxford
12-02-04, 11:16 PM
well for the proper way read the haynes manual. for the less trickier and quicker way do this:

two bolts in each of the front wings - 13mm?

so thats four bolts you removed.

then take off your front grille by prising it out of cross member.

look down behind bumper and on the bumper bar on either side there is a 15mm? nut

so thats 5 nuts in total and off she pops

the other way (that is in haynes) is to rather than remove the bumper beam off the craiage irons, as i told you to do above (carriage irons are behind grille) is to look underneath and the other end of the carriage irons there is 2 bolts in each chassis leg.

there a pain in the arse to get back in though

all four never line up

EVER!

HTH
mike

1992nova
12-02-04, 11:27 PM
cheers mate. i'll have a go tommorrow at gettin if off

mikeoxford
12-02-04, 11:39 PM
cheers mate. i'll have a go tommorrow at gettin if off

be careful of the grille..... dont loose patinece with it. or itll break.

even spending time getting grille of saves time you would have spent pi$$in about underneath flat on your back doing the carriage irons. take an age they do.

1992nova
12-02-04, 11:42 PM
luckily my grill is already out, its sitting in a box in my shed, they are extremely annoying to get off the car

mikeoxford
12-02-04, 11:45 PM
youll breeze through it then..........

Ben3042
13-02-04, 12:09 AM
well for the proper way read the haynes manual. for the less trickier and quicker way do this:

two bolts in each of the front wings - 13mm?

so thats four bolts you removed.

then take off your front grille by prising it out of cross member.

look down behind bumper and on the bumper bar on either side there is a 15mm? nut

so thats 5 nuts in total and off she pops

the other way (that is in haynes) is to rather than remove the bumper beam off the craiage irons, as i told you to do above (carriage irons are behind grille) is to look underneath and the other end of the carriage irons there is 2 bolts in each chassis leg.

there a pain in the arse to get back in though

all four never line up

EVER!

HTH
mike

Theres also fidely little plugs along the bottom of the bumper, remove these by sticking a small screwdriver or punch into the centre of them.

mikeoxford
13-02-04, 12:11 AM
possibly hes right - if the bumper has never been removed before

ive worked with approx 5 novas in the past. two of which are my own. none of them had them......... not even on the rear bumpers either, and i cant imagine 5 random novas having there bumpers off or front and rear end smashes in their lives?

some do some dont i think..............

Ste_Nova
13-02-04, 12:50 PM
i allways replace those push in things with zipties cause usualy the holes have rusted too large

mikeoxford
14-02-04, 01:12 AM
i allways replace those push in things with zipties cause usualy the holes have rusted too large

is there a need to replace anything there? its not as if ive ever notice my bumper droop etc?