PDA

View Full Version : v6 brakes

so1o
12-02-04, 06:05 PM
Hi,

Changed the brakes on my nova yesterday to v6 ones, also goodridge hoses up front, hopefully do the rear ones at a later date as they were pretty rusty and it started raining.

I have covered roughly 150 miles so far, the brakes are getting sharper and sharper but theres a lot of travel in the pedal. I have bled them twice, but the trvaels still the same, is the travel normal?

V6 discs
pads
calipers
goodridge hoses
dot 4 fluid
car was originally a gte so gte cylinder.

Thanks

Solo

Snowface
12-02-04, 07:16 PM
i read somewhere that u have to adjust something on the master cylinder on behind the footpedal.

look in haynes or wait 4 some1 who knows to come on here and tell u.

novashed
12-02-04, 10:41 PM
to be expected as the calipers have lot more internal capacity so take up more brake fluid

corsa gt
13-02-04, 12:57 AM
You'll need to replace your master cylinder to rid of that feeling. Shouldn't really matter though as long as you're able to lock the brakes. I drove with calipers/discs from Calibra Turbo, kind of similar.

so1o
13-02-04, 02:02 PM
The brakes are very good, stops you very quick and will lock up if you want them to. I just dont like the amount you have to push the pedal for them to bite. So theres no way around this but to fit a bigger master cylinder?

Thanks

Solo

dave.gsi
13-02-04, 03:53 PM
think theres a way of adjusting the pedal somehow. have a flick back through the forum cos it was mentioned only recently

Chris
13-02-04, 06:45 PM
hi mate i hope this is some use to you. it was to me

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81133&highlight=

so1o
13-02-04, 06:49 PM
Thanks mate will give it a go.

corsa gt
14-02-04, 12:51 PM
Thanks yeah, maybe I'll try tonight 8)

so1o
15-02-04, 12:53 PM
I just remembered something. My previous 16v setup was very worn, discs and pads were completely shot. Couple of weeks ago after everything being normal with the brakes (travel wise) it gained an inch or so in travel before biting. I was wondering is there an auto adjust or something that extends the travel as your brakes get worn? The brakes definitely gained travel as i remember it very clearly, now even though the v6 setup is loads better travel wise its exactly the same.

THanks

so1o
15-02-04, 08:21 PM
Anyone?

Stuart
16-02-04, 10:43 AM
chris t has the same brakes and ive noticed you need to push down to the floor to get them working. yes they do stop you but ist a bit un nerving the first time lol

adjust the brake linkage. i dont know how, but ive heard of it.

m.d.
16-02-04, 12:08 PM
wish id seen that before. thats just solved the problem i have too. :P

so1o
16-02-04, 04:45 PM
Cheers everyone

rgv_stu
17-02-04, 12:26 PM
make sure the back shoes are adjusted correctly otherwise you get a lot of travel from that

so1o
24-02-04, 12:22 AM
Stu the back shoes are adjusted properly, I think the travel and stuff is related to the size of the piston and the nova maste rcylinder/servo cant cope with the extra pressure etc.

I have now removed my master cylinder and servo and need some quick advice on what to go for?

Will a cavalier gsi mastercylinder/servo be up to the job?

Im a bit worried about using a massive massive one like a vectra 2.5v6 or frontera one as its been mentioned because these are big right, wont this just lock the brakes up all to easilly making the car dangerous especially in the wet?

Thanks

Solo

mikeoxford
24-02-04, 12:56 AM
i think the only servos that will fit are nova.

the linkage to the brake pedal is diffrent design.

i wouldnt want to use a bodged / welded up version!!!

i tried to fit cav, astra, and vectra combinations at the scrapyard and couldnt get nothing to fit.

go for the nova gte/gsi servo

as for master cylinder. ive heard talk of using cav ones etc

make sure its non ABS

to check this non abs has four pipes coming out. (like your nova!) ABS systems only have 2.

so1o
24-02-04, 01:10 AM
Cheers Mike, now Im getting really confused. BTW I have a Gte one on at the moment.

I have asked quiet a lot of people but some have been saying servo/cylinder etc will fit whilst others say the opposite, trial and error like Breeny mentioned will be my best bet I reckon.