PDA

View Full Version : Valver nearly went up in smoke

Slatter
11-02-04, 08:26 PM
Cars nearly ready for mot so ive been driving it along our industrial estate drive just to check things etc.... Went down today after setting up suspension and noticed a load of lads out side factory, mate in next to me says go past em flat out ..... I knew a few of the lads out side so i though ohh well....
So went flying past them lol they all stared as u do :lol: anyway on way back down drive to workshop i smell petrol and suddenly windscreen is covered in petrol :S turn engine off quick and noticed that the fuel pipe was rubbing on alternator :? so ladies and gents .... moral of story .. alway take you car for a good rag when doing anything to it, and before mots etc... at least stuff will go wrong before on road and legal :lol: i was lucky cos if bonnet had been on car would have blown up :roll: i got back and cable tied all my fuel pipes out of way.

So peeps rememeber always double check stuff when you do it, DONT rush it!

And Neil if you read this... Check all you car over before take it for drive else u might end up with a near miss like me !!

Slatter

Ohh and i saw a girl i know tonight who works in the factory and she said she heard me come past while she was working away! that made me smile to myself cos she said it sounded good :lol: :lol:

epo
11-02-04, 08:36 PM
that was lucky mate
cud have had another pinky only u wudnt have got 10k

Dare-devil
11-02-04, 08:38 PM
:o Damn you were lucky m8..

Snowface
11-02-04, 09:06 PM
talk about lucky...

i fitted the wrong cam pulley to my nova when i swapped engine and it had worked itself loose by the time i got to tuning garage he could undo the bolt that was holding it on by hand. Luckily it hadn't come off so i was ok.

lol, also the oil filter wasn't the right one for the block (pre 1985) and it had cut through seal and pissing oil over the concrete.

Chris
12-02-04, 12:23 AM
that happened to me. only my car was on axle stands in the garage. i couldn't work out what was wrong with cos when it started missing, then my legs got soaked in petrol.

2 lucky peeps.

Aragorn
12-02-04, 12:45 AM
when i assembled mine it was running like a bag of crap - running on 2cyls near enough

turned out i had a nick in one of the o-rings on the fuel rail and the petrol was pissing out there :|

so much for haynes's advice of using petrol as a lubricant - stupid fucks - phoned a bosch place to get some new orings and they told me to put some vaseline on the orings before fitting - that made it about 25 times easier :)

mikeoxford
13-02-04, 12:04 AM
the king lead on my alternator has been arcing for about a week or so, i thought my alternator was duff but it turned out the nut had come off the wire! and it was loose.

with all the fuel that my carbs spit out from time to time and how it runs down the bulkhead LOL im suprised i ent gone up in a bang. alternator sorted now :lol: 8)

Neil.
13-02-04, 12:10 AM
lol, got alternator sorted but minus a finger hey mike!

mikeoxford
13-02-04, 12:28 AM
lol, got alternator sorted but minus a finger hey mike! :oops:

djp_y2k
13-02-04, 10:51 AM
were lucky there by the sounds of it. Good job you dorted it though.