PDA

View Full Version : sterring wheel help

te17@novasgonemad
11-02-04, 07:29 PM
hi im trying to remove my std wheel but after two days of tryin it won't budge has ne1 else actually completed the challenge of removing their wheel if so how did u do pls give some tips. the more responses the better

srs1
11-02-04, 07:38 PM
it is a pain. if you go to mad and loose the plot and yank at it, it will come out. but you could also damage the steering column.spray wd40 into the nut hole and then try and pry it out by moving it side to side. there should be a spring on the underside to help it come off.

te17@novasgonemad
11-02-04, 07:44 PM
k cheers m8 ne one else

Jack
11-02-04, 07:49 PM
Try a steering wheel puller.... you ought to be able to pick one up at a motor factors or hardware/tool shop. Makes the job a lot easier.

Try loosening it with a rubber mallet, altough BE CAREFUL not to hit it too hard and damage the steering column! Also, try heating the wheel with a hair dryer or hot air gun to soften it up a bit (again, be careful so you don't melt it).

And remeber - the nut that holds the wheel on, by all means loosen it off, but leave it on the thread, as you don't want the wheel to come off only to break your nose as it flies up!

Took me and my dad three evenings of swearing and bashing to get mine off :!:

-Bruce-
11-02-04, 07:57 PM
probably best to buy the wheel pull. but if u dont want to the spray WD on it put nutt on afew turns them smack it like fuck with a mallet.

worked for me but maybe not the best approach to the problem. :wink:

epo
11-02-04, 08:30 PM
i smacked mine with a mallet and moved the steerin collum a couple of inches so cudnt get the boss on had to put it back right

id deffo buy a puller
u cud always re-sell it on

te17@novasgonemad
11-02-04, 09:31 PM
wots one of these pullers where can get one wot does it lok like any pics cheers so far ppl god this wheel is a bitch i think il frame it wen i get it off

epo
11-02-04, 09:39 PM
Try a steering wheel puller.... you ought to be able to pick one up at a motor factors or hardware/tool shop. Makes the job a lot easier.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
like the man says get one from there
failin that try halfords

Ben3042
11-02-04, 10:13 PM
Dont use a hammer or mallet to hit anything otherwise you will fuck your steering column. there will be play in your steering and this will cause your car to fail the mot, my advice is to get hold of a puller.

Learn from my mistake!!1

LiD0N
11-02-04, 10:50 PM
i cut the wheel off the cav i was breaking so i could get the dash off but obviously not a good idea if u want to keep the wheel..

Mrpugless
12-02-04, 10:42 PM
Hey you can get a steering wheel puller from draper.co.uk, ive just ordered one too :P

mikeoxford
12-02-04, 11:20 PM
buy one from machine mart......... keep the tool clean and the packaging imaculate. do the job.

take it back "unusued" and say its the "wrong tool for the job"

bugger am i spending on a tool ill use once!!!!!1 :twisted: :lol:

Mrpugless
12-02-04, 11:39 PM
Damn right!