PDA

View Full Version : seats get out sounds get in

steve461
10-02-04, 09:52 PM
im very tempted to take out the back seats in my nova of love lol and get a nice lil ice install and whack a roll cage in there what do you reckon the best material i should use to flatten it off and how i should approach this ???????

AnThoNYnOvA
10-02-04, 09:59 PM
im doing the same back seats out fit the cage then see what ive got, after that make it flat with mdf, then firbe glass a mould around to put speakers in etc 4 ice

steve461
10-02-04, 10:03 PM
i didnt think of the fibre glass but i had thought about the mdf of a nice bit of chip board covered with the metal look race plating stuff with a few subs and 6x9s screwed into the wood then the cage on afterwards.
do you think i shud get tha cage in then the mdf down?

badnova
10-02-04, 11:03 PM
i would say put the cage in first and then put the mdf in

steve461
10-02-04, 11:10 PM
badnovai take it you got yourself a nova have you got a cage and had the back seats out? if so how did you approach it if you know what i mean?

badnova
10-02-04, 11:25 PM
got a nova and had the seats out
not put cage in
but i know that it would be easier to put it in first and then get the mdf to fit around it
must prob look better aswell

steve461
10-02-04, 11:28 PM
ill look into it a bit closer wen i get round to getting the cage and having the time to do it i know one thing it will look sweet however its done well it batter fukin had lol
cheers m8

badnova
10-02-04, 11:30 PM
yeah i know what u mean all depends on what cage u get really
might sit on top of mdf or under it

mikeoxford
12-02-04, 11:56 PM
as for cage / false floor.

i have a cage, a sfaety devices one and it mounts n the wheel arches and the floorpan.

this shouldnt even touch your flor unless you plan on having it more than 6 inches thick or something ridiculous :lol:

as for material you plan to use.

chipboard will weigh a TON especially when damp.

use MDF of some description - its lighter.

steve461
13-02-04, 07:12 AM
mike nice advice i didnt eventhink of the weight :lol: @ me how difficult is it to fit a cage? and does it affect the insurance?

2litreturbo
13-02-04, 09:20 AM
i have a cage for sale if your interested. Easy to fit and might affect insurance slightly but that is the sort of mod you can get away with (not that i'm saying dont tell them, insurance know about both my roll cages)

djp_y2k
13-02-04, 11:37 AM
a CAGE WILL affect the insurance. maybe by a fair bit

if your planning on building a fibre glass insall ur better off getting the bage first so that you know where u can build it.

And be warned it takes ages to rub it all down smooth. I have changed my idea loads for mine. Still a fibre glass install though

mikeoxford
13-02-04, 11:41 AM
And be warned it takes ages to rub it all down smooth. I have changed my idea loads for mine. Still a fibre glass install though

in fairness though yours has to be 110% or it would spoil your car :lol:

as for fitment, on an average rear cage only, two bolts either side in floorpan on the upright legs

two bolts either side on the wheel arches in the diagonal legs.

bolts go through the holes, then on the exterior of the car before you put the nuts on, there is a steel plate to act like a big washer and to prevent the bolts pulling through. i put the bolt heads on the outside and the thread and nuts on the inside, partly to make a little bit of detail / feature out of them, and partly so if they rust i can undo them :lol:

Ste_Nova
13-02-04, 12:55 PM
and partly so if they rust i can undo them :lol:

i just fitted stainless ones :lol:

2litreturbo
13-02-04, 03:50 PM
my cgae only put insurance up by 1%