PDA

View Full Version : Its baffling me...

Nova_Tek
10-02-04, 09:21 PM
Rite,

My car wasnt being driven much by my mum (previous owner/driver. Was parked outside for a while in the cold).

Then when I started using it back in the day I noticed some, but very little white residue on the oil filler cap. Most would suspect head gasket on its last legs.

Once I started using the car more the residue had gone and I checked many times and it was non existant.

Now that I have started a new job that requires me to use tube, due to parking and congestion charging, I use my car much less and on shorter journeys. Today I noticed that white residue on the oil filler cap.

Now my theory is that as this white stuff is coming and going, going when I use the car frequently and on long journeys, I have concluded that its possibly condensation in the engine as the hot engine and cold weather together with short journeys is making that white stuff come up.

Could someone give me an opinion?

The car doesnt get thrashed or pushed to the limit coz I know its not gonna go really fast, 1.2 carb. Im a sensible driver and dont really do that sorta thing.

Also very soon will change the oil, so should I look out for a few signs giving me clues to what it can be?

Any hints/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanx for your time 8)

steve461
10-02-04, 10:09 PM
sounds to me sumthing like there maybe wate getting in to your head or oil sumwhere but i maybe wrong have you taken the head off it ?

Nova_Tek
10-02-04, 10:20 PM
No nothing like that has been attempted on it.

Its only done 80k miles.

I dont really see why the gasket would leak. Im not loosing water from coolant, no oil leaks, the water in the coolant itself is clear blue so no sludge or bad crap contaminating it.

Exhaust only has slight condensation vapour so I've cancelled out the fact that it could be leaking water from the gasket to the exhaust system.

Everything checks out really cept what I have mentioned bout that white crap. But even that is ever so slightly noticable.

Maybe im being paranoid but its worth checking I supose

Chris
10-02-04, 10:21 PM
sounds to me like condensation getting in. just a suggestion to try checking you breathers are all secure

chris

steve461
10-02-04, 10:25 PM
the suggestion i came up with was the only one i could think of sorry m8

Nova_Tek
10-02-04, 10:31 PM
Not to worry lads,

Hopefully when I change the oil if its clean then I guess its just condensation.

If you have any new info just drop it in, maybe I can find the cause, if there is one :x

Thanx 8)

m.d.
11-02-04, 03:53 PM
i had this on mine. yeah its only condensation. it will help loads if u change the oil and try to warm it up everyday to stop it condensating