PDA

View Full Version : street racer project

streetnova
10-02-04, 10:02 AM
i'm looking at building a stripped out racer with a nova SRI. i am basically after a few pointers, such as anmything i should know when stripping or tuning.
i'm looking at buckets, harnesses, cage and then full ashley system, induciton kit and cams. any more work would affect insurance too much

so any help greatly appreciated

ed

Stuart
10-02-04, 06:35 PM
a) DONT street race, keep it on the track.

b) one cam lol

and lol that stripping and caging the car wont effect the insurance too much, whereas adding a more lairy engine would.

many companies refuse to insure caged cars :)

Ben
10-02-04, 06:37 PM
the old insurance company "i have a roll cage, lets roll" scenario.

peester
10-02-04, 06:40 PM
just don't forget that you'll only get subtle to fair differences when moding and lightening. car will in general still go and feel like it does standard. engine conversions etc (the big insurance increasing gigs) are the mods that make the more dramatic differences, so do it just don't go ott.

streetnova
10-02-04, 08:31 PM
ok then. cheers guys
i'm gonna get coilovers and good brakes first coz seeing as i use a lot of twisty troads they'll help a lot. will probably just get a cosmetic cage and then front and rear strut braces. will be doing chip, cams, exhaust and filter to the engine so should give it a bit more power

ed

Stuart
11-02-04, 06:19 PM
out of intrest, where in herts are you?

streetnova
11-02-04, 06:45 PM
brookmans park. 8)

Alex
11-02-04, 07:03 PM
far enough away from us camb :lol:

Stuart
11-02-04, 07:07 PM
jolly good (although i havent a clue where brooklands park is lol)

MC
13-02-04, 01:44 PM
So, if you are only getting a cosmetic cage, why bother stripping the car? If the cage isn't going to be for safety or chassis siffening, it'll just be adding weight.

Get the weight as low as possible. As you said, get good brakes and suspension, small wheels (standard nova alloys are good). Make sure all of the bushes are in good order, then start going for power. Now, you say that you want to limit things for insurance purposes, but you'll probably get stung more for an exhaust system than a 'recon' head and bottom end. An overbore is reconditioning, not performance tuning, and your head was knackered soi you had a new one fitted. They wont even strip your engine apart if it doesn't look externaly different. Cams don't have any markings on them denoting performance, so they wont pick up on that either. A maxpower sticker on the other hand will have them charging you double!

MC