PDA

View Full Version : motorway slow down

johnnynova
10-02-04, 01:12 AM
ive got a 1.2 with a pierburg 2e carb on it, with a k&n filter. when i was driving to brighton last weekend (and 2 weeks previously when on some a-roads) i was going along at around 80-90mph in 5th gear, then after a while the power just disapears! i try putting my foot down, giving it some more petrol, but nothing, when i put the clutch down the engine starts dieing, so i engage it again, car eventually stops! arghh shit on a motor way, pretty fucked. i tried to start it, nuthing. waited a bit, tried again, it was fireing but realy slowly, even with my foot down, i gradually keep it going, and by slowly increaseing the throttle it starts picking up, then vrooom vrrrom, its fine, i let off the gas, it idles fine! i pull away and off i go again down the motor way at 80mph+ no probs! on the way back i didnt go in 5th gear, it didnt happen??? as i said before this has happened before, both times after leaving it for a bit i got the car started again, and it only happens when in 5th gear!! so confused maybe light could be shed on this problem....

Neil.
10-02-04, 02:01 AM
this is a very long shot but ive heard this kinda of thing before and it sounds like frozen carbs'.
Dont quote me on that as i've no idea, just only wat ive heard.

what u doing going 80mph on a 70mph road anyway? :wink:

Mark
10-02-04, 06:44 AM
Get your mixtures checked.

matty172
10-02-04, 10:30 AM
2 things it can be. frozen carbs, or your fuel lines wrong way round. send n return. few ppl i know ad this problem b4 :wink:

johnnynova
10-02-04, 12:23 PM
if the fuel lines were the wrong way round would it still start as normal??? im def sure they r right cos the one coming off the fuel pump goes into the carb with the in arrow (pointing in towards carb. and the donar car i took it off had them the same way as mine.)

mite be that carb freezing bollocks, but the engine should be hot hot! but all that air cooling i guess...

oh well

cheers

rgv_stu
10-02-04, 04:19 PM
carb icing or knackered fuel pump

first one more likely imo

Snowface
10-02-04, 06:08 PM
johnny nova, u had this exact same promlem, exact. Mine also used to do it on short journeys. I think it must be dirt in the jets cause i got a weber 32/34 and it doesn't do it anymore.

BIGH
10-02-04, 06:32 PM
ive just recently had the same problem just stick a pipe from the exhaust manifold to the airbox or k&n (just make sure it has some resistance to heat) and see wot happens

Stuart
10-02-04, 06:37 PM
mine just runs out of power when the gradient goes above half a degree lmao

appart from that i can keep the momentum up and agravate beemers and get wasted by Vanquishes on the M4 lol

with the 1.2 on a motorway, its not about the power, its the technique of keeping going lol