PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Squel!

2litreturbo
09-02-04, 08:23 AM
Just installed a 2nd 1kw amp but now, after a few seconds of heavy bass my volt needle drops down one whole section (not sure what range it is) and then sits pointing to the top. Then, the alternator belts starts to squel like it is losse but i dont think it is. It only does it when i draw a large current.

Is there anything i can do?

I know i can install a second battery and a power cap but this wont reduce the load on the alternator, if the same amount of electricity is being used, the same amount has to be generated. What to do?

Ste_Nova
09-02-04, 08:58 AM
start with thicker wires from the alt.... and a bigger battery (cav td size)

2litreturbo
09-02-04, 09:11 AM
that wont reduce the load on the alternator thou will it? It will still have to charge the same amount.

Ste_Nova
09-02-04, 09:25 AM
you need the wire on the alt to be as thick as the ice wires.... same with the earth strap on the alt, engine and battery

you need the bigger bat cause it's like a cap

2litreturbo
09-02-04, 09:48 AM
I'm not quite sure you understand what i am saying. If the alternator is a 70 amp alternator, then if my system draws more than 70 amps then it will be putting a huge load on the alternator. So the belt will slip. It doesn't matter how big the battery is. So what can i do to stop the belt slipping?

I dont want to over tighten it as it will fuck the bearings

Ste_Nova
09-02-04, 10:54 AM
oh well....

your amp won't pull 70 amps.. i bet it's only got a 40a fuse in

anyway if you have a 70a alt it needs 70 cable (earth and live)

the bigger bat will act as a cap the alt constantly tops it up... but the amp can take a chunk of power without dropping the volts

if your volts drop then the batt is too small

2litreturbo
09-02-04, 11:16 AM
each amp has two 30A fuses. I have two 0 gauge cables running to the boot.