PDA

View Full Version : water hose split!

DUNOVA.
07-02-04, 01:37 AM
I hold my hands up (I was ragging it) I stopped at a set of traffic lights and steam was pissin out from the bonnet.Checkt it all out and my water pipe that goe's on to the back of the inlet manifold has split the full lengh of the pipe :( Doe's anyone know what the cause could be.cheers stu

Neil.
07-02-04, 01:49 AM
My car exactly the same thing on the way to PV 2003, i was doing top speed as i was late, not proud of it, and the same hose split, it also shattered my head, i mean shattered...

http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/engine/1.jpg
http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/engine/Picture3.jpg
http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/engine/Picture4.jpg
http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/engine/Picture6.jpg

You might of been lucky, not sure what cause is.

epo
07-02-04, 08:47 AM
mine did it when me head gasket went
that was a fun job changin that

BIGH
07-02-04, 08:52 AM
I think it is mainly coz all nova coolant pipes are s**t the pipe from the radiator 2 the engine blew on mine so it may b worth while gettin a samco hose kit

DUNOVA.
07-02-04, 12:26 PM
My car drives ok replaced the hose today and it is fine.I really hope I have'nt done to much damage :?

XZiBiT
07-02-04, 02:22 PM
its all the colchester hates novas thing hey stu

nova_rally
07-02-04, 05:56 PM
Mines done the same. Caused by overheating. Some idiot taped the hose back together again - so of course it split again, only this time blowing the head gasket and putting a great big crack through the exhaust valve and water way!

Alan

DUNOVA.
07-02-04, 07:24 PM
Will there still be a problem with my car or will it be ok :o Do you reackon I should get it checked out Im getting worried now I can't be doin with the head gaskit going :evil:

nova_rally
07-02-04, 07:28 PM
If it's driving alright now I'd say you'll be ok. I take it you've replaced the hose (pretty obvious I know but some t**t didnt on my car!)

Just keep your eye in it, watch for any unusual smoke, noises or hot running which may indicate youve done the head gasket in.

Alan

DUNOVA.
08-02-04, 05:46 PM
The temp gage has been sitting at half way it used sit at a quater

moffat sri
08-02-04, 05:59 PM
One of my water hoses split tghe other week. Was sittin outside the lasses house droppin her off and she asked what all the steam was cumin from the bonnet. I said it was probably just all the water that had sprayed up onto the manifold and exhaust. Anyway, dropped her off and drove home (2 miles, other side of town) and had my hand infront of the heater vent and it got colder and colder. pulled into the drive, checked water tank....nothing, empty. went into the house to get a jug of water. poured into tank and it came straight out of the split. The pipe that goes from the back lefthand side of the head to the heatet matrix had spilt just where it comes out of the head. for a temporary fix i found a bit of copper pipe and cut out the split bit and joined back up again. works fine, no leaks or anything. really should get round to gettin a new pipe.

nova_rally
08-02-04, 07:30 PM
DU - Very thoroughly check everything coolant related - when mine gets that Hot I worry coz it means my idle speed will drop to just over 500rpm and that if I try and switch the engine off it'll just diesel along long after I've taken the key out of the ignition! Make sure the coolant level is right and that your oil level is Ok, and look for any white/beige gunge around the dipstick or under the Oil Filler cap in the rocker cover - if theres any then you know that youve got water in the oil, so most likely youve cracked the head gasket. (or if you're very unlucky cracked the head like I did!)

Moffat - I'd rather have the copper pipe! I don't trust the nova hose material 1 little bit. Mind you I'm inclined not to trust most of whats under my bonnet!

essexrudeboy
09-02-04, 11:37 AM
The temp gage has been sitting at half way it used sit at a quater

mine sits between 1/4 and 1/2, is this 2 high? it dont muck up the idle tho!

nova_rally
09-02-04, 06:28 PM
Sounds normal to me. My car's just uniquely f***ed up. :wink:

Alan