PDA

View Full Version : How much torque/power can a Nova driveshaft take? SNAP!

avon_nova
07-02-04, 12:20 AM
Remember all nova driveshafts are the same, except some GTE's have 22 splines not 28

A few people have told me they run their LET (2.0 16v turbo) powered novas with nova driveshafts, F20 gearboxes etc

Obviously using inner CV's from the Cav and normal nova outer cv's..

Standard this engine produces 204bhp and 206.5lb/ft torque, does anyone know how much more torque the shafts can take before snapping?

An XE put's out standard 144.5lb/ft but mines about 155 at the mo.

I've got a nitrous kit i'm about to fit, which increases torque roughly the same as power, so if i run say 75bhp jets with controller it will increase my torque to about 230lb/ft, with power being roughly 250bhp..

Will only run 25bhp jets to start with obviously so they should be ok, just wondering for later...

So who has snapped a driveshaft? What power or more importantly torque were you running through it?!

Don't really wanna buy Group A shafts and CV's if I can help it.

Cheers

Neil.
07-02-04, 12:54 AM
So have you got GTE shafts for mk2 cav inner cv's? If not what are u running?

Have u dont any extra work to head, pistons ect for NOS?

Ste_Nova
07-02-04, 11:07 AM
the weak part is where the clip goes on to the outer.... you will just have to try it and see... or upgrade to grp a items

http://uploader.co.uk/images/shaftedoopsz.jpg

avon_nova
07-02-04, 06:32 PM
Well the car came with tapered shafts, which are crap don't use them!

I thought they were big block shafts when I bought the car 2 years ago, as the tapered bit is hidden by the outer CV boot, making them look like astra/cav shafts...

After a year and a bit the short one snapped (passenger side) just at 160bhp and 150lb/ft. I think they always snap first cos they have less torsional resistance, the long one can twist more to soak up the shock when the tire grips. It snapped where you said ste, at the circlip groove on the outer CV splines.

I replaced it with a GTE shaft, which I had to buy new (recon I think) as 22 spline shafts are so hard to get hold of.

This has been fine so far, the offside tapered shaft is OK as well.
Just seems like they won't take much more seeing as one snapped at practically standard power, and the GTE shafts are not bigger than tapered ones they are just consistant diameter so the torque is more evenly applied across it, unlike a tapered shaft where the torque is concentrated on the smallest diameter..

Haven't done head work or pistons for the N02, doesn't really need it.

http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?topic=2517&forum=2&18

Check this thread out, chip got 104bhp at the wheels on a standard XE!
Using progressive controller..
Wonder what driveshafts he's using?

Ste_Nova
07-02-04, 07:41 PM
the gte shafts are heat treated...

tapered ones arnt..... hence the snap

the one in the pic is a home made one with 1/2 astra and 1/2 nova with a tube welded over the 2 parts :lol: lasted quite a long time for a bodge