PDA

View Full Version : The mods have started!

karl Rowntree
06-02-04, 06:47 PM
Well so much for not doing alot this year!

The novas off to the body shop tomorrow for a bit of work on the engine bay. Have it strengthened in a few places, turret plates etc and a bit more smoothing though im not going to mad.

Decided not to do the underneath this year as im going to use it mainly for track days and a couple of trips to europe.

Engines having a few bits aswell, ARP rod bolts, cams and a bit of head work.

Got my new brakes, chrome bits, poly bushes just need to sort a rear beam out now if antone has a good one lying around?

Cant wait to get it back on the road now, then its off to the :twisted: nurgburgring :twisted:

Ste_Nova
06-02-04, 06:51 PM
Decided not to do the underneath this year as it's too much hard work

i agree

dan_mk1
06-02-04, 06:53 PM
Decided not to do the underneath this year as it's too much hard work

i agree

:lol:

elgan
06-02-04, 07:22 PM
when you say doing the underneath... to what extent exactly?

with my nova ive stripped all the factory underseal from the underbelly, cleaned all the rust, welded plates as appropriate, sealed all the body seams up, re stone chipped certain areas and brush painted the whole lot with QD-90 Red paint (like hammerite) looks quite nice, but that was plenty of work for me. is this the kind of extent you go to?

karl Rowntree
06-02-04, 09:38 PM
just got in from the garage. Engine bays now totally bare ready for the bodyshop, was fun removing all the loom out of the wings :x

Just couldnt be bothered to take the whole car apart to do the underneath, only to go and get it filthy on the track. Maybe next year if i can be bothered to take it apart.

Still going to get the beam powder coated etc but nothing too special, think my prioritys are changing this year :wink:

Elgan, i had planned to do pretty much what you have mate, stripping everything off underneath resealling it all then spraying as appossed to brush painting. But i want the car done in about a month so like i say maybe next year

Dare-devil
06-02-04, 09:46 PM
Sweet.. Keep us posted of the progres ( with pics ) :wink: :D

karl Rowntree
06-02-04, 09:52 PM
will do mate, need to go and buy a digital camera though! Other than that its keep using the aps. Shopping tomorrow then!

CP
06-02-04, 10:00 PM
Ooo Nurburgring eh? Hmm let us know when you are going mate if you wanna have a few in a convoy :wink:

karl Rowntree
06-02-04, 10:20 PM
CP, planning to go over fro the opel show in belgium ( may 1st/2nd) then go on to the ring. Planning to make a week of it actually and if possible stop off at spa aswell on the way back to calais.

I know the Nurburgring is open to the public on monday 3rd may from 1pm until 7.30pm so we should get a few 14 mile laps in! :o Its 14 euros per lap :lol:

Not sure if the png are going over as usual to the treffen, but i will be going anyway if you fancy it mate. Could do with a few more people to go and have some fun round the the track with!

nova---chris
06-02-04, 10:31 PM
Hmm could be intrested if i can get the car sorted in time! hmmMmmm
8)

Ben
07-02-04, 08:14 PM
Could well be intrested, i go to belguim 4-5 times a year anyhow, will see what i have to drive in the next few weeks, buying a car has never been so tough :!:

krobinson
07-02-04, 08:55 PM
Sounds good Karl, looking forward to seeing it all back together!

I wont be making any early show's this year, but i plan not to touch the car next winter so i'll make the early shows 2005... hopefully :lol:

Keith

karl Rowntree
07-02-04, 09:47 PM
Cheers keith, wont look too different to be honest. Only those that know the car will spot the subtle changes.

Hope to get mine done in a month so i can get to all the shows this year. Looking forward to pv, you going to that one mate?

krobinson
07-02-04, 10:12 PM
Not looking likely mate.. too many problems over the winter, so i've been severly delayed. I wish i could get a loan and just get it finished, but i choose not to get myself into debt, i've always saved to buy and never borrowed. I think its a good way to do things!

Keith

karl Rowntree
07-02-04, 10:40 PM
You have the right idea keith, only spend what you have. I had to get a credit card last year to finish mine and still havnt payed it off! Glad its done now but ther is stuff i want to do but need to get the card payed off first.

Once its payed off though i wont be getting another one.

mikeoxford
07-02-04, 10:43 PM
a little off topic. id like to take part in anything abroad if there was something.

perhaps if anything is arranged and someone is a definite they could let me know the details etc? imn not very knowledgeable on any of it

thanks
mike

and best of luck karl :+:

NovaNeil
08-02-04, 05:39 PM
Hi Karl,
Im interested in coming over to Europe if you want some more people....
I'd love to go round the Nurburgring!!! :D

Roughly how much did it cost last time you went? I think you went with the PNG last time didn't you?

karl Rowntree
08-02-04, 09:51 PM
Mike, will keep you posted as soon as i have some definate details mate.

Neil, i went over last time with andy in his car. I cant remember exactly how much it cost to be honest mate. If the png do a run over at the same time we get a group discount on the ferry. Budget for around ?110/120 for a return ferry i think. Petrol, we used approx 4 tanks of petrol from stoke to belgium, so will vary depending on peoples engines. Then you have insurance and aa cover, again add approx ?100. Then your spending money.

We didnt do the trip to the ring then so it will be more expensive to do the show and the ring, but its worth it!

I reckon you could do the lot for a 5 day trip for under ?500 easy depending on how mad you went. I would like to spend about ?350 for the trip including everything.

Will start to get some prices mate and will let you know when i have approx costs.

Karl.

djp_y2k
09-02-04, 09:47 AM
sounds like you have got it sorted. make sure u keep us updated as others have already said.