PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal with long travelling

C.T.
05-02-04, 06:52 PM
Hello all, nice site you got here :D

I have a problem. The brake pedal wont grip before its nearly maximum in. Besides this, I cant see any problem. New pads at front, and rear is inspected and looks nice. Brakefluid is as it should be.

The problem was before and after I changed and inspected. It seems like this have happened slowly over the last year or so, and since im used to the car, i havent noticed how bad it have got before now.

Is it a problem with the main sylinder, or is it about adjusting the brake pedal?

Its a -86 1,3 LS (im from Norway, so its a Opel Corsa A).

Pardon my bad english :oops: as said, im from Norway :)

Stuart
05-02-04, 06:54 PM
try adjusting the brake linkage to the servo. oh and bleeding the brakes to get the air out incase its that.

other than that i dont know since you said the level is fine so no leaks are present.

C.T.
05-02-04, 10:54 PM
So air in the system can cause excessive brake pedal travel?

Jules
05-02-04, 11:35 PM
Yes, air in the fluid is the most likely cause.

Bleed them throughly and it *should* be back to normal.

rgv_stu
06-02-04, 09:24 AM
if its gradually gone down then its more likely to be the rear shoes need adjusting up. the adjusters tend to stick

try driving with the handbrake partly on if this improves it greatly then thats the problem, clean and grease the adjusters and get them working again.

only tighten the servo linkage up at a last resort!!

NovaNeil
06-02-04, 03:45 PM
Where do you adjust the servo linkage? and why as a last resort?

I have a very spongy pedal, i've bleed brakes loads and have rear discs, so its not the drum :wink: Its been like it for a while, before and after rear discs. It also has braided hoses so its not flexing the rubber.

Barn
06-02-04, 05:38 PM
off top of me head

- bleed the brakes and get all air out
- if that doesn't cure it adjust the shoes up
- check the union where the brake line meets the wheel cylinder........

basically if bleeding the system doesn't work get the drums off and have a look.

- wheel cylinder seals could be gone etc etc

could be MANY things tbh

hope this helps

BIGH
07-02-04, 09:04 AM
If u have bleed the brakes and not cured the problem try changing thr brake fluid completly.