PDA

View Full Version : air in fuel line (nova gsi) HELP..

kase1983
05-02-04, 07:41 AM
HI
IM GETTING AIR BUBBLES IN THE FUEL LINE BETWEEN THE TANK AND THE FUEL PUMP, ALL CONNECTIONS,GASKETS ETC ARE TIGHT AND CAN SEE NO LEAKS, THE PUMP IS VERY LOUD.

ANY IDEAS FROM YOU GUYS WOULD BE MOST APPRICAITED.

THANX ALOT

Ben
05-02-04, 10:37 AM
Hw do you know your getting air bubbles in there?

I would just disconnect a fuel line under the bonnet and prime the pump to pump the petrol right through this should bleed the line in theory.

kase1983
05-02-04, 11:25 AM
I had a clear braided type pipe between the tank and the pump and could see the bubbles. Have now replaced lots of flexi hose bits on the fuel line with new clips, etc Do these fuel systems need to be primed? Is undoing the fuel line at the manifold OK? BTW the car runs fine, it's just the noise from the pump thats a pain. Also where is the fuel tank breather located could this be blocked?

Cheers

Ste_Nova
05-02-04, 11:42 AM
you do get bubbles in the tank due to the return pipe splashing round

if the pump is noise then it's gonna give up soon

mowgli
06-02-04, 10:22 PM
I'm guessing you are not running with a gsi tank.....
if you are using a 1.2 tank, there is no swirl pot inside the tank, and if it is low on fuel, then air can get in. also, the 1.2 tank outlet is too small for an injection pump, 8mm as opposed to 10mm. the pump will be labouring, and drawing in air, causing the bubbles, because it has to suck something from somewhere, it will get air past a jubilee clip.. maybe the tank is also full of muck, and some is on the pipe end.

moffat sri
08-02-04, 06:08 PM
the pump on my sri has always been loud, i've had the car nearly 2 years and it's the same loudness now as what it always has been. if your cars is running okay i wouldn't worry. you could always take the plastic cap off the valve on the fuel rail and press the valve pin (just like a tyre valve). use a screw driver or something to avoid pressurised fuel being squirted at your hands. this should let any traped air out the fuel rail.

kase1983
08-02-04, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all your help. I've primed it by disconecting the fuel line at the engine end certinaly looked OK. The car is a GSi and not made up, so I assume its got a GSI tank. I'm going to buy a pump of Colin Smith and I'll let you know how it goes. Keep the ideas coming as my Dad is getting pissed off, cos he's the one getting his hands dirty while I watch him.

Doug