PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! AFR Guage / Lamda Sensor

mikeoxford
04-02-04, 04:05 AM
im looking to buy one of these:

http://work.aevans.net/uploads/FM6mE5ay3goN.jpg

to wire it in:

It uses the standard lamda sensor

It has a live, earth and a signal wire that goes to your signal wire on your original lamda sensor

can i use any lamda sensor? i.e one off a 1.2i singlepoint injection. or will i benefit from getting a better lamda sensor that is more variable or finer tuned? (sensitive?) i dont know the tech terms!

cheers for any help in this matter
mike

Will
04-02-04, 10:45 AM
lambda sensors work on injecteed cars telling the ecu how much oxygen is passing thru the zorst in effect, you dont have engine mangement do you mike? im not sure how it would work in this case.

As regards the lambda in general terms, the vaux ones are ok but a bit pap, u can get a heated one which is better, you can get these for around ?40/?50 notes allthough some places seem to sell them for ?100 madness!

Aragorn
04-02-04, 10:49 AM
the lambda is a passive device (with the exception of the heater in some of them) so it would work but running on carbs i'd expect it to wedge itself to RICH and stay there unless they are VERY well tuned

spose u could give it a try with a probe outta a 1.2spi and if it works then buy a better heated one

NovaNeil
04-02-04, 03:38 PM
Any 1 Volt Lamba sensor will do Mike, Found on most modern engines. You only really need one of the heated ones if a) you have a Turbo or b) You want it to work from cold acurately, Normal ones take a little time to get to temp and are not as accurate until they do.

Stuart
04-02-04, 06:08 PM
there are two main types of lambda sensor. a wideband (or LAF, Linear Air Fuel) and the usual switching type

most cars that have injection have the switching type, this has an area of linerality, but its soooooooo narrow that a guage like that wouldnt pick it up. the switching sensor tells the ecu if its lean or rich, so it can compensate, simple huh lol.

to get a "wideband" one you need to go for the honda/some rover ones as they are of the mroe "hightech" variety.

btw why would you want that in your car? lol you know its going to be running rich, theres nothing more you need to know lol

NovaNeil
04-02-04, 06:36 PM
Cause it looks Funky I bet!!! :D And Regal told me that any 1 volt sensor would run on of those gauges...... :|

Stuart
04-02-04, 06:38 PM
i dont doubt that the sensor will run the guage, but i bet it just switches all the time, and not a gradual shift (well about as gradual as booting it and going lean for a few seconds gets)

moffat sri
08-02-04, 06:49 PM
The engine management light on my sri flicks on and off randomly. I've had it on a fault code ready and the bloke said that my lamda sensor was a bit dodgy, on it's way out. Since then the light has started coming on more often. The car still runs fine but i've been told if i renew the sensor, the car might go a little better, with the mixture being correct. So i went to Vaux and asked about one. ?100 fukin quid! Told him i was just there to get a price and walked out. Where can i get one for a more sensible price? anyone.

mikeoxford
08-02-04, 07:36 PM
The engine management light on my sri flicks on and off randomly. I've had it on a fault code ready and the bloke said that my lamda sensor was a bit dodgy, on it's way out. Since then the light has started coming on more often. The car still runs fine but i've been told if i renew the sensor, the car might go a little better, with the mixture being correct. So i went to Vaux and asked about one. ?100 fukin quid! Told him i was just there to get a price and walked out. Where can i get one for a more sensible price? anyone.

scrappy. its one wire and a 19mm spanner i think.

failing that a used parts centre like my friends at just novas :lol: or vxpscc

Dicko
08-02-04, 07:51 PM
velos can get a rover 200 sensor (1 of the best) for around ?50