PDA

View Full Version : Questions!!

Beano
03-02-04, 12:39 PM
Most of these are probably stupid questions, but if I never ask I will never know!

1. Are there any special precautions I should take when spraying my rocker cover?

2. Any reason why I should not spray my manifold to make it look nice?

3. When putting SR / GTE dials in a basic model, where does the wire you need to run from the coil connect to the back of the dials?

4. What is a good price for 195 x 45 R15 tyres? I was expecting to pay about ?30 each (from Kwik Fit or somewhere, with balancing and fitting)

5. Is there any easy way to get a steering wheel off without a puller?

Thats all I can think of at the moment!

cheers!

wisewood
03-02-04, 12:44 PM
answer to question 5.
Brute force and lots of determination lol

Nath
03-02-04, 12:53 PM
ohh and another tip when your taking your steering wheel off make sure u leave the bolt on a bit else when it does come off u will have a face full of steering wheel! :lol: trust me it hurts :cry:

wisewood
03-02-04, 01:20 PM
agreed - the fastest reactions in the world wont stop a bruised forhead when the wheel comes off!

Nath
03-02-04, 01:24 PM
i thought id broke my nose when i did it my nose was pissin out with blood. not very clever but u learn from your mistakes!

Cheese
03-02-04, 05:10 PM
1. Only to make sure its grease/oil free so the pint will stick! Dont paint the underside! :lol:

2. Use engine/exhaust paint for the manifold as its heat resistant. Halford sell a few different colours.

3. Wire connects to the terminal on the back of the rev counter.

4. Have a look at: www.mytyres.co.uk for good deals on tyres, different brands & models will vary in price, so it depends how much you want to spend!

5. As above :D

Ben3042
04-02-04, 12:51 AM
Make sure you use a paint that will take the temperature that the rocker cover gets!

Get the tyres mail order and youll get them for about ?30 a tyre,

There should be a green wire comming from the back of the rev counter that will need to be connected to the terminal of the coil that is nearest to the front of the car.

As for the steering wheel if i was you i would get hold of a puller from a motor factors or where ever sells one and remove the wheel the correct way, dont try and give the shaft a beasting with a hammer and punch and don apply force to the steering wheel as you will only fuck the bearings in the steering column.

As i have found out through past experience :lol:

Mark
04-02-04, 07:50 AM
1. High temp paint.

2. Which manifold, inlet or exhaust?

3. There is a spade terminal on the back of the clocks.

4. Somewhere in the region of ?45

5. WD40 the splines for a couple of days then use a rubber mallet.

:D

Beano
04-02-04, 08:29 AM
Cheers everyone!

The manifold in question was the exhaust manifold. I've already got some heat resistant paint, a nice shade of red! Heat resistant to 650*C, should be more than good enough...shouldnt it...? :?:

I guess I will have to wait til the weekend and get a steering wheel puller...but I can spray my rocker cover soon!

I wired the tacho up last night, then ragged the fcuk out of it in my drive...oh the joy of seeing the needle fly up to 7000rpm...and then my engine sounding like its gonna die... :lol: :oops:

Another question - What else in the engine bay can I spray? I just feel like making it all look nice and RED! :lol:

Aragorn
04-02-04, 10:56 AM
free revving aint so bad but dont take it anywhere near 7k untill its properly warmed up :|

i'd say keep it below about 4500

CP
04-02-04, 03:19 PM
If you cant afford colored siliscon hoses you can paint the ordinary rubber ones with special flexible hose paint.

Just so you arent disappointed, manifold paints etc dont remain looking pristine for very long - most paints come off quite quickly so be prepared to touch up regularly

Stuart
04-02-04, 06:10 PM
do you do a lot of touching up then charles??