PDA

View Full Version : Still no 5th gear! Arrrgh!

Zak16v
01-02-04, 04:24 PM
Hey so i have been driving around for about 2 months now with no 5th gear, and ive finally had enough. The linkage is set up right, there is nothing getting in the way on the gear stick side and yes it is a 5 speed f16 gte gearbox.

When you disconnect the linkage from the selector i cant even seem to get that into 5th either.

I'm getting fed up with using so much fuel on motor ways and not bieng able to go over 90 mph. :? :(

Any info would be great!

beatin u
01-02-04, 04:33 PM
the selector pin inside the 'box could be fucked. The syncro mesh could be fucked.

5th gear in my F20 keeps fuckin up, pops out when accelerating. but its the baering or something in the selector. it keeps wearing out, you may have the same problem.

take the gear cluster out and see if you can engage 5th using your hands (obviosly lol) or you might see something broken.

mowgli
01-02-04, 04:35 PM
might be a daft question, but did you actually use a 5 speed gearstick and linkage, or just stuck a 5 speed knob on a 4 speeder stick???
the 5 speed has a lot more movement and a 5th gear detent.

Zak16v
01-02-04, 04:41 PM
Its a 4 speed stick and a 5 speed linkage. But the stick has more than enough reach to get into 5th when disconnected from the linkage.

It is defo related to the selector i think.

mark_GSi
01-02-04, 08:01 PM
my old 1.2 4 speed gear nob was fine when i put my GSI engine in, get 5th every time

double check you linkage again m8 as i had a bit of trouble with it at first

bdx570
01-02-04, 08:09 PM
if you look on the drivers side of the gearstick there is a plastic stop which you need to cut off so the gearstick selects 5th

Jordi
01-02-04, 08:15 PM
dont worry about 5th gear, my car aint even got 1 :p

epo
01-02-04, 08:28 PM
if you look on the drivers side of the gearstick there is a plastic stop which you need to cut off so the gearstick selects 5th

thats what i was gunna surgest 2

Will
01-02-04, 08:39 PM
try selecting 5th by pushing down as if going into reverse and then putting it in 5th.............

mikeoxford
01-02-04, 11:04 PM
try selecting 5th by pushing down as if going into reverse and then putting it in 5th.............
stus used to do this.

Aragorn
01-02-04, 11:42 PM
if u look at the ball joint just down from the selector on the box - theres a white plastic joint and its got a rubber band round it

make sure the rubber band is round the joint and not pushed down nearly off the bottom

this happened to mine and the linkage was getting stuck because of it