PDA

View Full Version : hazard switch

totalnova
31-01-04, 09:25 PM
dont no if this has happend to anyone be4 but my hazard light wont go off the only way i could get it to stop was by ripping the hazard switch out. has this happend to anyone b4? and do i need a new hazard switch?

Matt GTE
31-01-04, 10:27 PM
Mine has just done this so I ripped it out only to find that with it out, the indicators do not work at all :roll:. Just got a small piece of paper folded up and wedged in there to keep it in the off position now.

totalnova
31-01-04, 10:53 PM
can any one help?

Aragorn
01-02-04, 12:59 AM
well either get a new switch or open it up and remove the springs

if u remove the springs u get a switch that u simply pull out to turn on and push in to turn off - theres no latch

Tazzy
01-02-04, 02:16 AM
just take it to your local vauxhall, and they will fix it!

when i bought (swapped) my car, the hazard switch was bust, so i paid 30 lizzies for a new one, and within 2 weeks, i broke it, but lucily, it can be fixed, just a matter of a small rod inside the switch which gets put out of position!

Ben3042
01-02-04, 02:25 PM
just take it to your local vauxhall, and they will fix it!

when i bought (swapped) my car, the hazard switch was bust, so i paid 30 lizzies for a new one, and within 2 weeks, i broke it, but lucily, it can be fixed, just a matter of a small rod inside the switch which gets put out of position!

Why pay ?30 for a new hazzard switch?

You should have gone to a breakers or someone of nl and got one for fuck all :D

Wiggie
01-02-04, 08:10 PM
a very good point made by ben.

my mk2 hazard switch is abit iffy an all. but it dose the job just needs abit of jigling. hehehe cool to see how many ppl have the same issue

wigz

Hardie
01-02-04, 08:51 PM
Think everyones hazard switch has broke at one time, mostly due to the wee clip at the back of it, mines is broke and currently being held by two 2 pence coins, if i brake down im fucked as the switch doesnt bdge from off lol

Tazzy
01-02-04, 10:55 PM
i tried ben, but post a topic in the wanted section, but no reply, and strangely enough, the scrappys round brum, dont have many novas, well, mk2's anyway...

mikeoxford
01-02-04, 10:57 PM
You should have gone to a breakers or someone of nl and got one for fcuk all :D
*coughs* *clears throat*

they are pocket sized after all.

but i dont condone theft :D

nova_rally
02-02-04, 09:23 AM
I agree with the spring reoval method - just done it on my knackered 1 and It now works brilliantly! I prefer the Pull out for on, push back in for off action of it now. (and I don't have to worry about breaking it if I want to pull it out)

Alan

matty172
02-02-04, 01:49 PM
problem is, it needs to be flashing your hazards when u take the switch out. or the clip at the back breaks. i hope yv all modded the looms. ie upside down hazard trick!!!!!!!!!!!!

nova_rally
02-02-04, 04:38 PM
If you pull the springs out it doesnt matter how you remove it from the car. It was removing it whilst flashing that broke it in the first place on mine!

What is this security mod you can do to stop the upside down switch trick?

I was thinking about maybe filing a notch in the housing underneath and fitting a bar or something on the switch itself so it'll only go in 1 way!

Alan

totalnova
02-02-04, 05:25 PM
how do you take the springs out then?

nova_rally
02-02-04, 07:19 PM
Open it up! Take the swicth out and at the back by the connectors you'll see 2 lugs each side that hold it together. Takes a hefty amount of wresling with screwdrivers and knives to get them all in at the same time, but when you do the switch will just slide apart. The springs will probably just fall out. Then just slide it back togetehr (only goes in 1 way) and then stick it back in your dash.

Alan

stiller_uk
02-02-04, 10:42 PM
I know what turning the hazzard switch upside down is suppose to do (don't want to say incase a car thiving scum bag reads this) but it don't do it my nova, does it only effect a certain year/model?

Oh yea, my hazzard switch is broke as well. lol :D

Gazza14SR
02-02-04, 11:06 PM
just tried it on my mk2 1.4sr and it works.

to be honest, even though i have read it before and expected it to happen, it was still quite shockin.

elgan
03-02-04, 06:33 PM
how do u modify the loom?

my switch broke, stripped it, and the metal pivot on the electrical side was out of shape, apparently bending that back fixes them. didnt work with mine, so i just removed the springs.

Will
27-04-04, 04:20 PM
it was picked up and some were recalled before sold but for the H and J plates it was 2 late, later K plates are fine i think....... ste?

Jon_nova1
27-04-04, 04:29 PM
on mine it was the bearing i took it apart cleaned it out and it's worked ever since