PDA

View Full Version : Give your nova the rally car BANG!

johnny27
30-01-04, 10:30 PM
Hi guys, i've made a setup on my nova so it creates huge bangs from the exhaust at the touch of a button. Anyhow this is what I did, I took a switch from the low tension live going to the coil and feed the switch through the bulkhead and mounted it on the dash. Then I tuned my carb to run rich. So once you give the car high(ish) revs let it come back down and turn the switch off for about one second and then back on, result? Sounds like a turbo anti lag system. As you all probaly know whats happening here is that the when you hit the switch the engine stops firing but the petrol still following unburnt through the head out to the exhaust, so when you put the switch back on it is ignites the petrol in the exhaust. BTW My car has'nt got a cat converter, so a nova with one might not work. Anyhow I'm probaly open to criticism now because of possible damage to the exhaust, so let me know what you guys think, and any damage or problems this will cause.

Slatter
30-01-04, 10:47 PM
sorry mate thats so 5 years ago lol

and yeah it will fcuk your engine ..... mine used to do it without the switch :?

A hint to everyone ...... DONT DO IT

Alex
30-01-04, 10:48 PM
mmm. should i say well done?

It would poison a cat converter (besides you can't tune up a carb on a nova with a cat, as they are injected)

Jim
30-01-04, 10:48 PM
Why have you done this? LOL

Jim

johnny27
30-01-04, 10:53 PM
My nova is not injection it is a carb, so it aint got a cat. Why did i do this? Well basically its a bit of fun seeing people jump from fright! I'm not worried if it mess up my engine cause the nova I tried it out on is scrap car, not tax MOT or insured, really its just for the feilds and off roads. By the way, what sort of harm to the engine would this do just out of intrest.

epo
30-01-04, 11:44 PM
My nova is not injection it is a carb, so it aint got a cat. Why did i do this? Well basically its a bit of fun seeing people jump from fright! I'm not worried if it mess up my engine cause the nova I tried it out on is scrap car, not tax MOT or insured, really its just for the feilds and off roads. By the way, what sort of harm to the engine would this do just out of intrest.

if its on a field surly the only thing ur gunna scare is the cows and sheep :lol:
unless ur drivin it with no tax or mot

johnny27
30-01-04, 11:53 PM
Things are a bit different here in ireland, i live in the country side, and my mates have cars, so basically we can drive around country lanes or feilds, without hassle from the police. Common pratice here. I have'nt got my license yet, so my scrap nova is for a bit of fun. I have a 1.2 Spi nova which currently under going work mechincally as you see my other posts, so it will be legal for the road soon.

skud52
31-01-04, 09:58 AM
really no need to do that, just tune the bollox out of the engine, have a full s/s system and let it pop on its own, much better than using a switch

novaexplod
31-01-04, 12:55 PM
novas do it all the time wen there is too much fuel going in, n wen u change gear it pops just the same, seems to be a usual thing from mk1 1litre novas.

Philsutton
31-01-04, 06:03 PM
mine used to do that on its own but with flames on gear changes before it was set up.

nova_rally
31-01-04, 06:36 PM
Yep, my SR Backfires and pops any time you let go of the throttle, no need for any weird solutions! As for Rally Car sound... well I only know 2 rally cars that make it: Mine, and a VW Golf that sounds like a 2 stroke moped when you let go of the throttle!

Carb needs some serious tuning (Autochoke don't work and it's in need of a good clean!) so it shouldnt do it for much longer...

Alan

NovaNeil
31-01-04, 07:14 PM
I think the bang will be a little bit louder than just backing off the gas and getting some pops and splutters. :roll:

Sounds cool to me, Im all for things that scare and annoy the neighbours :P . Fair play mate, and I can't see it damaging anything, It would only damage your CAT (as mentioned) and possible after a while the wading in the silencers.... but so what....

nova_rally
01-02-04, 10:23 AM
I think the bang will be a little bit louder than just backing off the gas and getting some pops and splutters. :roll:

wouldn't bet on that! :lol:

johnny27
01-02-04, 11:52 AM
Let me tell you, its really loud, bit like a firework. Even louder if you leave more time before switching back on the switch to let the fuel build up.

Ben3042
01-02-04, 02:18 PM
You dont even need to bother with a switch, just use the ignition instead.

Well funny watching ppl jump 2 foot high though :lol:

Philsutton
01-02-04, 05:34 PM
I think the bang will be a little bit louder than just backing off the gas and getting some pops and splutters.

No if i was just hit the limiter before gear changes id get a huge bang and then the flames but that was when it was overfueling. It wasnt just a splutter trust me :D

NovaNeil
01-02-04, 06:16 PM
Arghhh Phil, but you do have some Nice and juicey carbs bolted on don't you :lol:

I ment when you back off the Gas and the car goes pop.....pop...pop pop...bang...pop....pop. etc.

Philsutton
01-02-04, 06:23 PM
:lol: oh yeah the carbs dont help, but since i have had them set up and had a forth siliencer added to doesnt do it any more. My days of popping it next to old ladys and making them drop their shoping are over now :(

NovaNeil
01-02-04, 06:25 PM
haha, But whats with the fourth silencer :o

Philsutton
01-02-04, 06:34 PM
well the police dont really like me an i got pulled for it being to loud, even though they couldnt tell what the legal limit is they told me to quiet the exhaust. So put on another siliencer but i had it sound tested at donnington and it was 93 decibels which is still rather loud but until they give me limit for the sound then its gonna stay like that.
What they dont no is its the carbs making the noise an im not putting an air box on it. :lol:

NovaNeil
01-02-04, 06:45 PM
Cricky!!! But 4 silencers...... Its a bit extreme isn't it. I ran one small one back box on my GTE and it still wasn't loud enough for me :lol: But like you said you have the awesome Induction noise....... Mmmmm Nice!

Gazza14SR
02-02-04, 01:17 AM
You dont even need to bother with a switch, just use the ignition instead.

Well funny watching ppl jump 2 foot high though :lol:

When i had my first nova i used to do this, i remember 1 time when i crapped myself cuz i switched the ignition off but turned the key too bloody far and steering wheel went into the locked position! Ended up on the other side of the road, luckily no cars were on the other lane.

For some reason though my sr wont do it :( Maybe thats a good thing.

Aragorn
02-02-04, 01:38 PM
i always thaught the wheel didnt lock untill u removed the key

mine doesnt anyway :roll:

epo
02-02-04, 07:02 PM
i always thaught the wheel didnt lock untill u removed the key

mine doesnt anyway :roll:

mines same

gaz didnt ur car chuck flames out cos ur carb wasnt on right or summat

Gazza14SR
02-02-04, 07:14 PM
yeh, one of the dellortos was on the piss and not square to the manifold as well as it not being correctly set up:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pc10b0d3b98042dcb21f430c88dd40aa7/fb509168.jpg

For some reason the nova i had the wheel locked when it was turned fully back. I just went out and tried the key in the one i have now and the wheel doesnt lock with the key in, god knows why my other one did.
Mind you, it was an absolute nail and was completely bodged together from the previous owner.

NovaNeil
02-02-04, 07:22 PM
Like the pic :lol: :lol: :lol:

epo
02-02-04, 07:41 PM

i do i had it as me wall paper 4 a while :!:

Gazza14SR
02-02-04, 08:30 PM

i do i had it as me wall paper 4 a while :!:

:oops: Im flattered!

:D

2litreturbo
04-02-04, 07:42 AM
wanna make it even louder??????????? DO YAAAA?????????

Then once you have switched the ignition off, dump your foot on the accelerator for however long you dare. Then take you foot off the accelerator and switch on the ignition.

It is VERY important you release the accelerator before turning on the ignition otherwise it doesn't work

Rgds

Neil

Philsutton
04-02-04, 12:04 PM
Then once you have switched the ignition off, dump your foot on the accelerator for however long you dare. Then take you foot off the accelerator and switch on the ignition.

cant imagine the engine's is going to like that

Nath
04-02-04, 12:55 PM
my old boss does it in his rs turbo he floors it to bring in the turbo then turns off the ignition and then turns back and on and it sounds like a shotgun. it was wicked in the tunnels in Birmingham.

and as for the nova backfiring etc mine does that with just an ashley backbox. it pops like mad when i take my foot off the pedal.