PDA

View Full Version : Live feed to headunit ?

Hardie
27-01-04, 11:32 PM
Is it posible to get a live feed going to the headunit so the car doesnt have to be running to have the headunit on ? SIck of sitting in silence cause the engine isnt running

PS: Searched t see if this post has been made before and oculdnt find it, appoligies if it has

Cheese
28-01-04, 12:52 AM
Yep! Run a fused cable from the battery through the bulkhead and connect it to the head-unit!
You need to put the fuse in the wire before it passes through to the inside of the car :)

Jules
28-01-04, 01:20 PM
The way to do it is to connect the +12v and switched +12v to a constant +12v supply (There should already be one behind dash for the stereo).
On most car stereos the switched +12v is yellow and the constant +12v is red, just join the two together and connect to the +12v constant supply that is already in use (And already fused through the fusebox I believe).

Worth remembering a couple of things:
1) It'll flatten your battery listening to the stereo for ages without engine running, so start and run the engine every so often.
2) If it's a Kenwood then I think the red / yellow wires are the other way round (Yellow is constant +12v and red is switched +12v)

* Don't blame me if you balls it up and set fire to your car!! :wink:

Hardie
28-01-04, 11:11 PM
Aw jesus im gonna burn it to a crisp :twisted:

It is a kenny headunit, il go out 2moro morning when it light n have a look about. How long you talking about for it to run the battery flat ? a few hours, half an hour ?!

Jules
29-01-04, 08:45 AM
Depends on the condition of the battery and if you're running amps, got lights on, heaters on etc etc etc.
But just to be on the safe side I'd start the engine every 30-45 mins for at least 10 mins.

Oh and you won't burn to a crisp - that's what fuses are for!!
:D

Hardie
30-01-04, 12:17 AM
Had a look today and couldnt find any wires that aint connected to something. Am i missing summit ?

Jules
30-01-04, 12:35 PM
The yellow / red will be conected to a constant 12v feed and the other to a switched 12v feed (Only has 12v when the ignition is on) - find out which is which by using a mutli meter then connect both to the constant 12v and isolate (Wrap up with electrical tape) the switched 12v one.

nova_rally
30-01-04, 01:41 PM
Yep Kenwood are Red=Ignition and Yellow = Constant 12v. Just wired mine in. Out of interest what's the yellow wire in the Nova Wiring? Mine was connected to the 12v constant supply and taped over??? (I have a nasty feeling I've just disconnected my Alarm by removing it!)

On a Kenwood KDC 3024:

Kenwood yellow wire to the Red Nova Wire.

Kenwood red wire to the Nova Cigarette lighter black wire. It'll come on as long as the ignition is on now. (I.E. all the dash lights are on but engine not running.)

Mine's working a treat!

Alan

Ben3042
02-02-04, 01:11 AM
You dont need to have the engine running, just the ignition switched on,

Brown is ground
Red is the switched live
Yellow is a constant live and should be wired to the memory lead which comes with all head units (colour may vary but is usaully yellow)

Hardie
02-02-04, 01:27 AM
If the ignition is on it floods the engine thou

dan-hipgrave
07-02-04, 12:03 PM
hi, i am a bit confused about all this, i have been trying to wire in my headunit but cant get it to work. I have a red wire which i presume is ignition live, and a yellow wire which is constant live. Is this correct or are they the other way round. Thanks.

Ben3042
11-02-04, 11:04 PM
If the ignition is on it floods the engine thou

It shouldnt do, if it does then something is wrong with your car!

If you dont want to wire your head unit through the ignition then wire the memory leed and live wire on your head unit to the yellow wire in your car and the earth lead to the brown wire in the car.

Problem solved :D

novadiamond
15-04-04, 12:34 AM
I got my stereo on permanant live and now have to jump start everyday