View Full Version : 1.0 faster

kieran
27-01-04, 07:14 PM
how do u make a1.0 itre faster than standard
any body any ideas

i am guessing some one will say y bother geta bigger engine

Snowface
27-01-04, 07:43 PM
any carbed engine will be better as long as its bigger obviously.
the 1.2i has the same power as the 1.0 not sure of torque.

Havn't heard of peeps tuning 1.0 much apart from air filter and exhaust.

off topic, is the 1.0 a 'Mini block' Engine as such? Cause i know the mounts are diff than the OHV's.

mowgli
27-01-04, 08:39 PM
don't bother tuning a 1.0... they did fit a 1.2 version of the old ohv lump to mk2 astras. they look pretty much identical, and a straight swap would probably not cause too many problems.
I would recommend fitting a 1.3 simply because you don't need to swap the fuel tank and lines. I've just stuck a gte lump into a 1989 1.0 and all of the mounts etc lined up fine.

_JH_
29-01-04, 11:20 PM
lose some weight. no not you, strip anything you don't want from the car. some mk1 astras that were fitted with 1.2ohv engines had a 4-2-1 exhaust. should bolt straight on. see if there's any engineers in your area who'll make you an inlet manifold out of others so you can fit a twin choke weber perhaps? or maybe 2 single choke carbs feeding 2 cylinders each, like on the early 205XS? Or you could just get a plenum made and fit a turbo from a metro or R5. I could go on bullsh!tting all night but the truth is there's loads of options. just don't be afraid to give it a try

then again you could 'stick a valver in it mate'

Jim
29-01-04, 11:30 PM
Lose as much weight as you can and spend money on the susspension. A full exhaust sytem can be made to fit other engines if you upgrade to a bigger engine at a later date. This will also add a nice note to your car. If your still desperate to mod the engine get an air filter, new spark plugs and leads, not that this will make much diffrence.

If you create a car that handles well, you'll be able to get more speed out of it round the corners rather than on the straights and will probably surprise a few people with the handling.

Jim

ydg27
30-01-04, 11:56 AM
get as much cold air to the intake as possible and as zoolander has said
lose some weight. no not you, strip anything you don't want from the car. some mk1 astras that were fitted with 1.2ohv engines had a 4-2-1 exhaust. should bolt straight on.
the exhaust but apart from that just dog the f**k out of it.

or put a TD in it?? :wink:

Ste_Nova
30-01-04, 12:12 PM
1.3 simply because you don't need to swap the fuel tank and lines. .

yes you do..... cause the 1.0 only has a fuel in