PDA

View Full Version : FAO any web designers

Tazzy
25-01-04, 09:31 PM
is there anyone who can make web pages?

i havent got a clue, what is the cost like on running a site?its a fairly simple site i have in mind, not very detailed, just pictures on lots os useful writing, ill explain more in a PM to whom it may concern!

cheerz!

dikharvey
26-01-04, 12:24 AM
I used to runa web design and hosting company.

I still host lots of sites. If you PM me tell me what you've got, or what you need i'll sort you a deal out.

?Marty?
26-01-04, 10:04 AM
If you dont require any advanced scripting, you can find a fair few free-webspace providers where you can host an adequate sized website from. Only think is, you would have a shitty url address.

The way round this is to register a domain (a .com, .co.uk and etc etc address) and have it forwarding to the webspace. i.e. someone types in the address, and it goes to whichever webspace you tell it to. Domains are cheap (?1.99 for a .co.uk or ?8 for a .com) but you have to renew the .com's every year, and .co.uk's every two years.

Making the actual website itself is very simple, and there are a number of ways to do that. Best thing to do is get a basic understanding of html, then move onto CSS. If you want a more dynamic website, you're looking at DHTML, Flash, PHP, Java and etc. No need to learn all (though the more stuff you know, the better it is, obviously) but what you need to know as the basics depends on what you are trying to achieve with your website.

XZiBiT
26-01-04, 11:49 AM
not if you sign up for a free .tk account then forward the url addy works for me mate i set it up and its still running ;)

?Marty?
26-01-04, 01:51 PM
^^^ true.

i recommended that for a few of my friends. there is advertising, but it is only one small pop up ad on start-up of the site.

BUT if you get less than (25 is it?) hits a month, your dot.tk address will be taken off you. PLUS they can take it off you anytime without notice. Which they will if they decide your address is a good name OR you get significant traffic to your site (through the address).

Having your own dot.com and etc is better, as it is yours and if you get a good one, you can sell it later. Or you can get money (even if very very little) though domain parking - i.e. where a company (usually a search engine) borrows your domain name, so people get adverts when they enter it. You get paid per successful referral.

ANYWAY.

Just go to freeWebs (http://www.freewebs.com) and register for free webspace. There is NO advertising (except a small ''webspace provided by freewebs'' link at the very bottom of the site - delete it, they wont even know) and there is a guide/templates on how to make some basic sites i think.

Then register a dot.tk (http://www.dot.tk) address, and have it send visitors to your freewebs site.

Simple and FREE.