PDA

View Full Version : How to leaguly clock your car!

blingmachine
25-01-04, 03:46 PM
Just put on bigger wheels, the bigger the better.

say you had two novas from new, one had standard 13" steels the other 17" alloys. Then say you go to sell them when they hit 50K. The car with the 17's would have done a load more miles than the other :D

Yes i was very bored when i thought of this, and yes i do think im really clever now! BO Selecta

Mark
25-01-04, 04:44 PM
Am I missing the point that you want the car to have lower mileage and therefore you are yoing the wrong way???

Fester
25-01-04, 04:47 PM
There's nothing illegal about clocking them, it's only if you try and pass the new mileage off as the cars actual mileage. You could clock it back by 20,000 miles, then tell a potential buyer of this to stay legal.

Mark
25-01-04, 04:49 PM
My Nova went from 55,000 to 97,000 when I swapped to my 6-dials :o :lol:

Stuart
25-01-04, 05:14 PM
if i dont tell someone that mine should have an extra 1 infront of it i could pass it off as a 44K one lol

Will
25-01-04, 05:34 PM
WTF?

right u set a course that is 1 mile long, 2 novas one on 13s the other on 17s drive the course they wil have both travlled 1 mile and the clocks will also say this!? surely

scottn
25-01-04, 06:23 PM
the clocks are programed so that for every turn of a 13" wheel the car will of covered the distance equivalent of the circumference of the tyre, if a 17" wheel was on, the clock wud register 1 turn as say 4 ft but the circumference of the 17" wud b more like 5 ft, so if u clocked up 4 miles u wud av actualy done more like 5 mile therefor the car is only clocking 4/5`s of the mileage

Tazzy
25-01-04, 07:32 PM
i have a lcd digi dash waiting to go in my nova, it came from my bros old astra gte, when we took it out, we took it apart and clocked it back to just 1 mile, im just waiting to get it fitted, not bothered about telling a future owning the real milage as i dont plan to sell it, lol, oh well!

epo
25-01-04, 08:29 PM
tbh a lot of milage wudnt bother me aslong as the engines been well looked after

Snowface
25-01-04, 09:20 PM
how do u wind back the miles on the clocks? cause mine is 9k too many.

I think Mike Oxfrd knows.

blingmachine
25-01-04, 10:12 PM
the clocks are programed so that for every turn of a 13" wheel the car will of covered the distance equivalent of the circumference of the tyre, if a 17" wheel was on, the clock wud register 1 turn as say 4 ft but the circumference of the 17" wud b more like 5 ft, so if u clocked up 4 miles u wud av actualy done more like 5 mile therefor the car is only clocking 4/5`s of the mileage

Bingo :wink:

Bilbo ballbaggins
25-01-04, 11:17 PM
any 'Ferris Bullers day' off gen???

Barn
25-01-04, 11:19 PM
i dunno wtf is wrong with my clocks...i drive for a couple of miles and it registers about 20?!

my mileage is going through the roof.

:?:

brian
25-01-04, 11:25 PM
what the clocks on a Nova read doesn't matter the slightest. on a car so old if its clean and mechanically sound thats all that matters. the majority of them have been around the clock anyway.

peester
25-01-04, 11:53 PM
so is it the same as with push bike speedometers; when installing you set it up for youre wheel size; if you enter it too big; it'll tell you youre going quicker than you really are; hence more distance/mileage than you really are; if too small then youre going quicker than the speedo tells you, less distance/mileage. that right?

mavvmad
26-01-04, 07:40 AM
The other way to do it legally is put lower mileage clocks, inform the dvla that you have done this, they ask you to send in the log book with the new details and thats it, job jobbed, I did it with a Fiat Chroma Turbo a few years back.

Aragorn
26-01-04, 08:43 AM
barney

take the speedo module out and u'll find the pin that holds it all the digits together has come loose at one side

push it back in with a pointy thing and it will stop doing crazee mileage

my digidash had a spate of this - 4000miles in about 100miles supposedly - needless to say i wound it back the 4k before reassembling it

Jules
26-01-04, 09:04 AM
the clocks are programed so that for every turn of a 13"

What about GTE / GSI that have 14" as standard? Are you trying to tell me that they have inaccurate speedos from the factory? Sorry I don't buy it.
I always thought that the speedo was controlled by the sensor in the gearbox which rotates the spindle within the speedo cable and therefor turns the speedo / odometer to which it is attached by whatever amount. Regardless of wheel size the gears inside the gearbox will pretty much turn at the same amount so therefor I expect the speedo / odometer will read almost identical.

But I could be wrong, it has been known.

Aragorn
26-01-04, 09:14 AM
theres a W=blah stamped on the speedo dials

this is the speedos calibration

and nova dials are all different depending on the wheels it came with from the factory

XZiBiT
26-01-04, 01:10 PM
how do i wind back the clocks on my didgy dash then ive gone from 81K on my gte dash to 151k on the didgy id like to take it back to 81k

Aragorn
26-01-04, 01:46 PM
i doubt anyone will tell u exactly but look at my reply to barneys issue and extrapolate from that

essexrudeboy
26-01-04, 01:47 PM
put it in reverse on rollers and the clock will wind the other way! it worked in my fester, dunno if it will in my novski tho!

Barn
26-01-04, 06:31 PM
barney

take the speedo module out and u'll find the pin that holds it all the digits together has come loose at one side

push it back in with a pointy thing and it will stop doing crazee mileage

cheers pal, will try it tomorrow

Snowface
27-01-04, 07:53 PM
i heard mike say it was easy to clok them back.
with a drill or something prolly.

Fester
27-01-04, 07:59 PM
any 'Ferris Bullers day' off gen???

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ferris3.jpg

LOL