PDA

View Full Version : Oil All Over The Shop

Nova_Tek
23-01-04, 07:25 PM
My mate is having a bit of trouble.

His original rocker cover gasket (OHC) lasted donkey's years but split recently. He then replaced it himself but the right side leaked like a bi*ch, leaked all over the exhaust manifold and smoked.

He then changed it again and now it leaking from the left side.

I rekon its coz the old gasket didnt quite get removed properly so he has patches of old gasket around. He tried removing it but this stuff is proper caked on.

Am i right or is there a different reason for why its leaking like mad?

Is there any solution or way of removing the original gasket that has caked on?

Cheers

PS It is losing alot of oil. within a week no oil in the engine. And im certain that oil is only leaking from there.

epo
23-01-04, 07:59 PM
did he use a genuin vaux gasket and did he tighten the head bolts up 2 the correct torque settin

2litreturbo
23-01-04, 10:22 PM
MY mate had this problem. He bought a rubber gasket that had rounded edges. Consequently, when you tightened the bolts up, it slipped out causing a break in the seal. To a whole roll of bodge tape to hold it in place while the nuts were done up. Try using a gasket compund that comes in a squezy tube. Run it around the cam housing and let it set like the instructions say. Then put the top on. Make sure the gasket compund is the one for oils. Other wise the oil will seep thru.

mrtim
24-01-04, 11:54 AM
hes just done it up too tight.

doesnt need to be anywhere near as tight as ud think. no real pressure up there.
ive seen loads of people do it.

get a new gasket (?1.50 ish last time i got one) and make sure the metal edges are oil free when fitting it.

Stuart
24-01-04, 02:16 PM
cork gasket and some sillycone on both sides. she wont leak then

Dpnova
24-01-04, 03:47 PM
I did mine today with the one cambride mentioned, dont over tighten it or that will cause it to split

mikeoxford
26-01-04, 10:42 PM
I did mine today with the one cambride mentioned, dont over tighten it or that will cause it to split

and leak.

bolts need to be just over finger tight - they really are that loose!