PDA

View Full Version : renault 5 gt turbo...

goldengray
21-01-04, 04:10 PM
How many of you have sat in or driven a renault 5 gt turbo, especially one with internal boost control or the uprated stage two turbo...?

My buddy has one and its so quick and light, just wondered how you peeps rated them???

broony
21-01-04, 04:33 PM
Yeah my mate had one.Not sure bout the upgrade but the boost was turned right up and was well rapid! No bad wee cars!

Ben3042
21-01-04, 06:08 PM
I take it you are talking about the 1.4 version, rapid for only a 1.4, ask Ken, his mate had a well nice one :D

Jules
21-01-04, 06:41 PM
My brother had a Prima converted and modified 1.7 GTT - and it was fast as fook!!! Would like to of been in it in the event of a crash though!!
:o

Breeny
21-01-04, 06:45 PM
Whizz bangs usually...

Extremely fast for what they are, how many other 1400cc hot hatches do you know in the low 13 1/4's?

All you ever hear is how unreliable they are though.. I guess it all depends how you look after them.

That twin engined one is damn impressive..

Lee H
21-01-04, 08:32 PM
I have one that is totally standard which i am using while the Nova is off the road. It is quite quick for a standard car but wouldn't choose it over the Nova. Had no reliability problems with it so far except a bit of overheating which was remedied with a new thermostat!!

epo
21-01-04, 08:50 PM
That twin engined one is damn impressive..

saw\read about that one when it raced against that lambo
beat it didnt it

?Marty?
21-01-04, 09:07 PM
Like them a lot.

ken
21-01-04, 10:38 PM
my mates have had a few, and another has recently brought another but they are not standard..... you often hear how unreliable french motors are,, but to be honest its how you look after them or how good the car you buy is.. ive driven every car ive had hard and had no faults with any of them and neither have the people ive sold them to... but with the renaults you cant expect to wind the boost out as so many do and thrash it especially when its a hot day coz she ill blow.. normally the exansion tank or head gasket blows...there a strange engine their a pushrod turbocharged engine running a carb? weird combination.. but seem to be rapid with little mods my advice is they are ok.. there quick.. handling is good but dont buy one with big power unless it has other mods to cope with that but they are a fun factor car..and the sound is awesome...but here we go i would have a 205 gti over 1 ne day standard not much in it between a 1.9 gti and a r 5 turbo..so i've been told.

Hardie
21-01-04, 11:57 PM
Wasn't there one in lax power a year or so bacl that did 0-60 in summit like 3.5 seconds ?!

Positive i read about it

peester
22-01-04, 12:19 AM
my mate had a gen dimma kitted black one on a d-plate. nice. my favs are the old 5's: pre- 1985, with the black/grey bumpers. gordini?

blingmachine
22-01-04, 12:36 AM
Not sure why but ive always really liked the 5 GTT. Though i am constantly being told how unreliable they are, best bet is just to buy a standard one.
dont go near one's where the only mod is a boost controler, coz we all know what kida life thats had :(

anyway will prob be buying one as my next car, need sumthing to warm me up before the pulsar. Going from 45bhp-230bhp should be fun :lol:

dan_mk1
22-01-04, 12:49 AM
i was looking into getting one, but finding a standard one is like finding rocking horse poo!

blingmachine
22-01-04, 12:56 AM
i found quite a few on auto trader a few months back, although i nearly bought a 300bhp one for 2.5k the insurance would have loved that :lol:

dan_mk1
22-01-04, 01:01 AM
i got a challenge for ya.....try and find a good condition, low mileage, standard uno turbo! fucking impossible! *waits for ste to come and prove me wrong!*

blingmachine
22-01-04, 01:12 AM
now ur asking the impossible, if it hasnt been consumed by rust it would have crashed, just buy a panda :lol:

peester
22-01-04, 07:52 AM
i got a challenge for ya.....try and find a good condition, low mileage, standard uno turbo! fcuking impossible! *waits for ste to come and prove me wrong!*

what about just finding a straight gen. BL metro turbo?? one of the funniest cars, i luv 'em. but mega rare now.

Lee H
22-01-04, 09:01 PM
My Renault 5 was completely standard, now its just got clear indicators, dump valve and lowered. It has done 42k miles from new (genuine because it used to be my dad's car) Spent all its life up till October in Jersey so has no rust (no salt on roads). Never had to have an MOT in Jersey but it passed its first ever one here for ?40. It has been reliable so far but build quality is poor. Give me the Nova anyday!!

Lee

hendrix
22-01-04, 09:09 PM
My mum used to have a c reg metro turbo in silver, used to go like fook!! unbelievably fast for a 1.3. Was a shame the turbo blew on it. Couldnt get another one but still got 300 quid for the car. Aparently it wasnt as fast as her 1.8 mini :o
She's had faster cars than me :evil:

Breeny
23-01-04, 10:41 AM
Lee..

http://www.rtoc.org :wink:

mc_hawkings
23-01-04, 01:55 PM
http://www.rtoc.org/library/file.asp?id=9058