PDA

View Full Version : Removing FD - Diagrams needed

Dicko
21-01-04, 11:22 AM
has anybody got the EPC or similar handy. i could do with an exploded diagram and some instructions on how to remove a final drive.

cheers

Jim
21-01-04, 02:06 PM
Do it this weekend Dicko :)

Jim

Dicko
21-01-04, 03:04 PM
iv not got the box yet jim

suppose i could bring down the f10 with a 3.94FD to practise on :D

Dan
21-01-04, 05:55 PM
just do what me and camb did, use a haynes manual. we had never done one before and was all the help we had.

Stuart
21-01-04, 06:26 PM
dicko you big nancy lol

step one
get car off the floor and undo the tie bar nuts (22mm i think) and the TCA inner bolt.

pop the shafts from the gearbox (watch out for fluid)

step 2

undo the 13 and 14mm bolts that hold the gearbox "casette" in.

(oh forgot to add, drop one end of the gearbox lol)

pull the casette out.

Step 3
remove the circlip from the very end of the output shaft and remove the last gear from the shaft. sometimes it litterally falls off and sometimes you need mr puller.

remove the diff bearing bolt thing (big mofo castleated nut)

Step 4

drop the diff and undo the crown wheel bolts, replace with "new" one.

step 5

fit new pinion to gear casette and replace the circlip

refitment is reverse of removal

enjoy sweetheart lol

Aragorn
21-01-04, 06:27 PM
yup its relatively streight forwards

uve got the crown wheel bolted onto the diff so just follow the diff removal instructions in haynes for that bit

and the pinion is the last cog on the output shaft

remove circlip and remove gear with a gear puller

Stuart
21-01-04, 06:29 PM
dejavou

Dicko
21-01-04, 06:50 PM
lol

i removed all the 12/13mm bolts out the end and it wont come off. im guessing its for the cassete to come out. shall i try to encourage it by bumping the shaft with a big piece of wood :twisted:

Stuart
21-01-04, 06:54 PM
you got all of the bolts out? there are 4 that only hold the endcap on but thats irrelevant is youve got them all out.

try using a punch/drift on the two locating pins. or "caress" the input shaft with a hammer lol

rgv_stu
22-01-04, 12:53 PM
when i took mine out i also removed the selector fork, that might be whats stopping the cassette coming out.

Dicko
22-01-04, 01:50 PM
ahh, ye i aint touched that. and the 2 locating pins r tight as fook. ill wack them out later and have another go :D

rgv_stu
22-01-04, 03:37 PM
its 4 bolts to take off the selector mechanism iirc

Ste_Nova
22-01-04, 04:15 PM
dicko you big nancy lol

step one
get car off the floor and undo the tie bar nuts (22mm i think) and the TCA inner bolt.

easier to whip the bottom ball joint pinch off

Stuart
22-01-04, 05:02 PM
swings and roudabouts really lol

oh yeah forgot to mention the selector fork, ho hum it was a true haynes style reply lol

allegedly you should pop it into 2nd gear too, but it makes no odds really

Dicko
22-01-04, 07:52 PM
i will try n get it into second, i managed to get it loose, but will only move about an inch out. :roll:

brian
25-01-04, 03:26 PM
that big diff bearing odd looking bolt is a right bastard to get off!
are they normally very tight to get out? i'm taking out a 4.18 at the moment and have the nut turning but its so tight the cogs are disappearing one by one !!!