PDA

View Full Version : How many people had a car before they passed their test?

Adam
20-01-04, 01:44 PM
Hello,
i just want to know if it is worth having a Nova before i pass my test. i have the space to keep it and the money to buy it but it is just gonna be off the road for a few months.
But any cars that are for sale now i would miss out on if i didn't buy, when i have actually passed my test there may be no decent cars for sale.
how many of you had a car before a full driving license? :roll:

also how many driving lessons did people have before passing( i have only had 2 but already been in fifth gear-60MPH- down main A roads) which i thought was pretty good, and have yet to stall.
cheers for any help: :D

nova_rally
20-01-04, 02:08 PM
I was given my car on my 17th, learnt to drive in that with my dad and had driing lessons in it occasioanlly as well. (hated the Ford Ka the instructor had.)

Go for it! you can start making it a decent car before you get to drive it in it's old and knackered state!

Alan

wisewood
20-01-04, 02:18 PM
I inherited my car from my dads uncle when he died. I was only 16 or 17 at the time and didnt finally pull my finger out and get lessons and pass my test until i was 19.

Well worth getting your own car in advance - especially if you have someone to take you out in it with L plates on... you will get MUCH better at actual real world driving skills than a couple of hours with an instructor who will most likely show you what you need to pass your test and not much else.

Driving my nova for a few hours a week was brilliant with my dad with me as opposed to the fiesta with the instructor. Dad wasnt so strict about speed limits etc.

Adam
20-01-04, 02:23 PM
any answer to the number of lessons people have,

also do you need insurance to drive say a Nova with a provisional,
cheers

wisewood
20-01-04, 02:36 PM
I think i had about 4 when i was 17 and decided i would rather spend the money on beer - then my grandmother bought me the rest for my 19th birthday and i had about 14 or something like that.

nova m@rk
20-01-04, 03:19 PM
ive got my tucked up in my carport/garage thing..
and i aint got my test till aprill cuz i aint 17 till then
but ive been having pre 17 lessons on this massive indusutrial est by me i think ive had bout 8 so far and everything you'd do on the road ive dun
exept island's cuz there aint none on the est but the upside is as soon as im 17 i can drive on the road
BTW my cars been in garage 4 bout 2months and is still fine starts 1st time evry time so get ya car now then u aint got2 drive round in a standard car.....

Euan
20-01-04, 03:32 PM
had my car a year and a half now and still aint passed my test. stopped takin lessons to pay for parts etc. am gonna pass ma test when the car is finished. am 19 now by the way :o :oops:

Ste_Nova
20-01-04, 03:45 PM
i had a mk2 cav when i was 12 :roll:
nova for my 17th

Mark
20-01-04, 04:31 PM
Had my first car 6 months before I passed my test (due to my motorbike accident) and had 1 lesson before taking test (due to motorbike accident)

Beano
20-01-04, 06:13 PM
I've owned 4 cars, still have 1, and a motorbike. I have no license (car OR motorbike) and im 18 in February...

As long as you can afford driving lessons as well as buying the car, then go for it. I have had 7 driving lessons, and i've stopped twice, last lesson was about 6 months ago. I keep wasting all my money on my car, instead of spending it being able to drive my car, but I dont need to drive it...so i dont mind. I have no idea what im goin on about now.... :?:

What was the post topic again?? :?: :roll:

Adam
20-01-04, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your help,
if i was to buy a Nova now and drive it with my dad and me with my provisional, does the car have to be insured to someone,
thanks

Beano
20-01-04, 06:19 PM
you would have to insure it under your name, with your dad as an additional driver. You could try it the other way round (insure under dads name, you as additional) but some insurance companies arent that stupid anymore.

make sure you insure it though, driving with no insurance is guaranteed 6 penalty point offence (speaking from experience :oops:) with a lengthly ban if they see fit!

Adam
20-01-04, 06:40 PM
This may sound like a weird question, but how would i get it from the buyers home to my home, cus i won't be insured before i have bought the car, do most people just take a chance that they don't get pulled over. But a modded Nova acts like a cop magnet, especially with a 17 year old driver.

Beano
20-01-04, 06:42 PM
get someone else to drive it, get the owner to drop it off (if he will) get am ate with a license, insure them on it for a day (will cost fcuk all). or you could just risk it, but i couldnt possibly encourage that.

it doesnt matter how far you go either, if you chance it, you will get caught. i got done for no insurance driving 100 metres down a road... dont risk it!

Adam
20-01-04, 07:42 PM
Insure it for a day, can you actually do that, sounds decent to me. i could spend time modding it all week and go for a drive once every few weeks while my cash builds up.

Will
20-01-04, 07:49 PM
the DRIVER ie. YOU has to be insured, the person supervising (your dad) does not have to be insured to supervise AFAIK.

you cant normally get insurance for a single day but LV do insurance cover for a 2 day persiod but i think u will be limited to the amount of times you can do this, having said that its sumthing im looking into at the moment! any ideas ppl?

as for test lesson and shit

12 lessons, passed first time at 17 drove mums car for 6 months, turned 18 and brought a nova sting......... rest is history for those that know me

Will

Ben3042
20-01-04, 08:13 PM
Iv got 2 cars at the moment, a nova which im building and also a pug 306 which im driving on a provisional for now.

Bsm reccomended 25 hours of lessons. dont go with them though mate coz there shit.

Adam
20-01-04, 08:59 PM
I ain't with BSM anyway, i am with a local instructor. I have had 2 lessons so far, never stalled and already been on the main A roads at 60mph, which i thought was pretty impressive,
thanks for your help

dave.gsi
20-01-04, 11:15 PM
i passed when i was 18. couldnt afford to buy a car though until i was 19. how bad was it getting the bus when i had a driving licence :roll:

if only daddy had bought me a saxo...................and some alloys.......................and a kit etc etc (i hate these types lol)

Fester
20-01-04, 11:18 PM
I had a 1.3SR when I was a learner and took my test in it, then rolled it the day after.

dave.gsi
20-01-04, 11:20 PM
nice work :lol:

peester
20-01-04, 11:23 PM
i learnt and passed without a car i started learning at 19!! passed 6,7 months later bought my viva (avatar pic) about another 3 or 4 months later (can't really remember) parents helped with first months' insurance and 6 months tax and i was away!

XZiBiT
21-01-04, 06:33 AM
i had a 1.0l metro with a turbo bodykit the car was red with yellow bodykit had stickers all over it looked proper rally got pulled and banned about about 3 months after i started driving it :(:(:(:(:( but that was years ago and ive learnt my lesson :D:D:D

Beano
21-01-04, 09:09 AM
Whatever you do, dont get hung up on the whole "gotta learn with less lessons than my mates" sort of thinking. Just do as many lessons as you need to be safe, and pass your test first time. your instructor (assuming you use one) will tell you when they think you are ready for your test (unless they're pumping you for cash :lol: )

first car was a VW jetta, second was a pug 205 1.9 Gti, then a citroen AX GT, now I have the Nova. still got a GSXR400 in the garden, but i have never driven/riden a single one legally. luckily i have more sense now, and im not going near a road til im 100% legal.

(just read that, and it makes me sound like an insurance dodging scum bag...which im not. the pug was driven a total of about 300 metres (and rolled :roll: ) i drove the ax about 20 metres to a car park outside my mates house, the jetta was never driven, and the nova has sat on my drive since i bought it. and i only rode the motorbike after me and a mate fixed it, to make sure it worked properly! so im not pikey scum! :lol: )

johnnynova
22-01-04, 01:54 PM
before i passed my test, i cud drive and wen ever the parents left one of there motors, 1.6 16v mk4 astra and a 1.2 16v new shape clio i would take'em for spins round the local area, i just so wanted to drive! nothing happened i dint crash, all good! nearly did in the astra but thanks to my quick thinkin it was fine.!

owning a car is a mission, so much money!! insurance takes the piss! they should give you back 3/4 of your premium if you dont have a crash that year!

a2lt16v
22-01-04, 02:05 PM
i had mine before but rolled my dads so had to give him mine but i have got it back now

Tazzy
22-01-04, 03:27 PM
on my 18th bday, i was given ?1400, and as i knew nothing about cars, i saw a GTE got sale, and fell in love with it and just had to buy it, and so, for 2 yrs, it was in my garage, i kept it very clean, and running smoothly, as i couldnt afford the insurance, in the end, i swapped it for a 1.2i spin which i also love!

i dont regret buying the GTe before i passed my test (i passed in feb 03) i dont regret swapping it, althoguh i am a bit peed off that i got ripped off in buying the GTe in the first place!

oh well, it was worth it!

seanp1
22-01-04, 04:06 PM
i've had my nova for about 6 months and still got another 5 months till im 17.
its good that i can do it up so it will be ready to drive as soon as im 17 but having the car and not driving it is annoying.

Snowface
22-01-04, 06:27 PM
When i was 15 dad got me and my sister an Mot faliure to practice driving round the field. Funnily it was a Nova saloon, brown. not sure if it was 1.0 or 1.2.

Then after that we had an old 1600 4x4 Scooby to drive which was fun. Couldn't do very good handbrake turns cause hand brake was on the front.

The nova was fun to slide about a bit.