PDA

View Full Version : 90mph then - CRACKLE CRACKLE

damian666
18-01-04, 12:43 AM
My nova (got it today - Yay! - 1.2 merit 1989) has a strange problem - Its cool around town, pulling reasonably hard, but it has a couple flat spots, and when I'm doing around 90mph in fourth, the engine starts to 'crackle' like there is lightning under the bonnet or a fire is about to break out!

Even when I lift off the gas it happens a bit - I have been slowing down to about 70 then picking up again... Not good!

Got seen off by an Uno 45 - the shame!

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks
Damian
ps. there are big clacky noises coming from the cam cover - is this going to cost me?

Aragorn
18-01-04, 01:27 AM
is it solely speed related or rpm related?

ie doing 65 in 3rd do u get the same sounds

or similarly 42 in second

if not it might well be summat physically flapping about under the bonnet?

as for the noises from the cam cover - sounds like worn lifters - maybe related if its not had an oil change since the dark ages

might be an idea to get a can of engine flush and some new oil (15w40)

damian666
18-01-04, 01:52 AM
Happens in other gears, although is most prominent in top.

Might be worth changing the oil..... :D

Cheese
18-01-04, 02:05 AM
Give it a good service, and use some decent oil, 15w 40 Like Aragorn said. This will hopefully cure the "clacky noises" from the camshaft housing.. This needs to be done soon, especially if your hitting 90pmh!
A service may also cure the other noise you can hear when going along too, if its something engine related :?

Mark
18-01-04, 08:29 AM
is the engine modded in any way ie. carb?

damian666
18-01-04, 11:11 AM
Not as far as I know...

The only thing that was a little strange was the air filter I replaced was the 1.3 size, not the 1.2?? It was the same size as the one I removed though.

Could the dizzy be dying out on me? Or the coil?

Damian

Philsutton
18-01-04, 06:09 PM
at 90mph its probably the engine telling you it wants to die.

mikeoxford
18-01-04, 06:34 PM
sounds like pinking to me.

damian666
18-01-04, 09:56 PM
Theory:

Could it be the ignition is not advancing, meaning raw fuel/air is going unburnt into the ex. manifold causing a crackling noise?

Its not a 'ting' pinking type noise.

Whats this about a vacuum distirbutor I've heard?

Damian

robb
21-01-04, 10:03 AM
Yep I had that, it happens when you run low on oil and are boll***ing it, the valve guides run dry and will stick when hot and over revved, mine did it so I changed the whole head and oil and it is now fine. Regularly hits a ton down the lanes on the way to work.

Does it burn oil?

Check plugs against haynes thing at the back, if it says something about guides then above is your problem.

a2lt16v
21-01-04, 02:42 PM
MINE DID THAT I PUT ENGINE IN BIN