PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 engine

shanehandley
15-01-04, 10:10 AM
what would i have to change if i convert my 1l to a 1.4?

can i have a list of what i need!

would it be worth it has i cant go much bigger as im only 17 so insurance would be to high!

thanks

shane

Adam
15-01-04, 07:39 PM
My advice would be convert your 1L to a 1.3(using a 1.3SR), for two reasons, firstly the 1.3SR is only group 5 insurance and so only 2/3 groups higher than your 1L. Secondly the 1.3 engine is about 5BHP less than the 1.4, yet the 1.4 is Group 7 insurance, is it worth paying two groups higher insurance for the sake of about 5BHP over the 1.3 I don't think so. You would also be going from 45BHP(1litre) to about 70BHP(1.3)
As for what you need i ain't quite sure as i ain't an engine expert. Probably a 1.3 gearbox, manifold/exhaust, maybe a different fuel pump. but don't take my parts cus i ain't sure.
:?:
Hope the other advice proved useful though
:D

epo
15-01-04, 09:51 PM
will u not need any parts of the loom
and will u not need 2 uprate the brakes 2?

Adam
15-01-04, 10:52 PM
Yeah cheers for that epo, brakes for a 1L ain't gonna prove too effective at stopping a 1.3L, and the loom stuff as well to connect the engine to your dash instruments.
I said i wasn't sure on the requirements

Cheese
15-01-04, 11:04 PM
1300 or 1400 are virtually the same with regards to fitting..
You'll need:
Engine obviously!
Gearbox if you want to change to 5 speed, (Recommended)
New radiator as the pipes don't mate up.

Years ago when i originally did mine, i also had to fit a new centre section on the exhaust, as the original one was a completely different diameter (think there was some other reason too!), to the new SR one.

Easiest thing to do, is get a complete 1.3/1.4 SR engine, will all the gearbox, pipework, manifolds and carb etc with it.. You can get these for ?50+ Look in the parts for sale section. That way you have everything you need from the start.

Wiring is straightforward.
Good idea to upgrade your brakes, but the SRs came with the same brakes as you have now anyway as far as i know.. If you can afford it, fit some SRi/GSi calipers and disks, or better still some 16v from and Astra/Cav etc.

Hope that helps mate :)

nova m@rk
16-01-04, 01:11 AM
heard somthin bout lower gear ratios=faster acceleration if thats true leavin your 1L gear box in should be quicker shouldn't it

Ste_Nova
16-01-04, 09:29 AM
1.0 box has different bolt holes to the engine