PDA

View Full Version : Ideas???

babybluegsi
14-01-04, 11:09 PM
Not sure if anyone has any ideas but basically my gsi is lowered 60mm and is a really stiff ride, everything in the car rattles at every bump, dash, door cards, rear shelf, seats. Any ideas to stop (help) this problem. Only thing i can think of is taking whole interior apart and making sure every clip and screw is tight????????

Jim
15-01-04, 09:22 AM
When the car was lowered, was it lowered with springs and shocks? If so there may be a setting on the shocks for you to adjust how hard/soft the shocks are.

Otherwise, it's down to the fact that the car has been lowered. When lowering a car the springs are generally a lot stiffer than standard springs. Whilst the suspension was fitted, the bushes may have been changed also. This will again increase the stiffness of the ride.

Unless the shocks have come to the end of thier life theres nothing much that can be done other to resorting back to standard suspension. Unfortunatley when you start modifing the handling of a car, the comfort factor starts to go down.

Jim

babybluegsi
15-01-04, 09:36 AM
Yeah had a feeling that was the case. I was thinking of putting it to 40mm with softer shocks. Maybe that'll help.

Cheers for ur help mate

crazychris1234
20-01-04, 01:34 AM
i striped my interior out and sound deadned a few places and then rebuilt it making sure every screw/bolt/clip was there and in its place nice and tight and now my novas well quiet inside it made such a difference im lowered 60mm just springs standard shocks still bumpy like but nothing rattles now witch is the most important bit i hate rattles and that

rysmee
20-01-04, 05:29 PM
so what shocks you running?
just goes to show how spending that much more cash will go along way.. i've got mine lowered with bilstien shocks and i would never change.. even to coilovers.
even though i have competition spec (solid) bottom arm bushes, lowed tie bars etc etc.... the car is better than when it was standard over bumps and obviously handling is wicked. you dont uslually gain all round when lowering but i thnk i have!

telfa
23-01-04, 09:21 AM
If I was you mate I wouldn't worry, my mates nova rattles loads and its not even lowered!

Nova_Tek
23-01-04, 07:39 PM
True novas do rattle but rattle more when lowered...

After reading what you guys have been saying I was thinkin... I wanna lower my car by 40mm but I still wanna keep sum softness / comfort coz I really dont want the rattle to worsen.

Which would work better - uprated lower shocks and standard springs? OR uprated lower springs and standard shocks?

My car is a 1.2 so the ride is pretty soft and well composed on speed bumps so I want to keep some of that when its lowered.

Thanx

2litreturbo
23-01-04, 10:25 PM
If you dont wanna hear the rattles, turn the stereo up. I remeber my mate had a cherry bomb on an uno and going down the A127 i asked 'how the hell do you put up with the noise of the exhaust?' So he turned the stereo up!. Solved his problem.

babybluegsi
25-01-04, 10:31 PM
Easy purplenova. Yeah thats the only way i can cope by turning the stereo up :D