PDA

View Full Version : Spare Wheel Well.

mikeoxford
14-01-04, 12:45 AM
This dosent really fit into styling, technical or general, but i put it here as most people go here.

Cars in the bodyshop by the end of the month - if it isnt its up for ?offers!

Bodyshop can do anything i want for little or no extra cost. its a well renowned VW bodyshop for modified beetles in nottingham area. (friend of family)

while im there shall i get the spare wheel well removed amongst other things.......?

im looking at it like this.....

i cant get at the spare wheel easily. and have never used one in my 18 months of driving. *touches BIGGEST piece of wood possible*

my plan is to have him replicate the securing fixings they currently have, but underneath the car, so the wheel well will be removed, and in the centre a threaded rod with a thing so i can spin it up and hold the wheel on tight from underneath, then some form of lock to stop it getting knicked - itll only be a gsi style wheel anyway or even a space saver jobby.

this enables me to be able to get at the wheel easily if i want it.

also, should i go to a pod day, i can drop the wheel easily and save weight :D

is there any structural issues i should be aware of here? (he is a BSi or whatever quality assured / trained welder)

what gauge steel should i use?

the only bad thing about the idea - is i looked into a towbar the other day, as its ni on impossible to fit anything in my car easily, and we have a small lightweight ally trailer of which id like to tow. and i have looked into a detachable swan neck towbar - so it could come on and off for shows etc ;) itll be out of sight before i get any comments! ive researched it! hidden underneath behind bumper.

trouble with that is it mounts to the front and rear of the spare wheel well, and the rear pannel(thats not an issue) but if i ditch the sprae wheel well itll have no mounts :cry:

opinions please..........? its something i want to get removed, but on same token, im unsure of.

Fester
14-01-04, 12:55 AM
I like the idea of removing and a spindle going down to secure the wheel

Also in the worst case scenario of the wheel dropping off it would be well clear of the vehicle

There's quite a few Novas have had the wheel well removed, I can't see it being a safety issue regards structure as long as it's all stitched back together properly!

Sorry can't provide any details on metal gauges or anything, but I reckon do it!

Mark
14-01-04, 06:50 AM
Ditch it! :D

Jim
14-01-04, 08:14 AM
The sheet of metal going across the boot will need reinforcing, the bodyshop should be able to tell you how they'll reinforce it. If you are doing this to save weight then really you should think about getting rid of all your ICE, the fridge and the Rear seats. Losing a spare wheel will not get you into the sub 15 secs :P

Jim

Ste_Nova
14-01-04, 09:20 AM
the propper vauxhall tow bar attaches to the legs (bit the exhaust hanger is on)

mikeoxford
14-01-04, 11:38 AM
ste i thought that - i fitted one to my dads mondeo when he had it and also i have seen other towbars and know exactly what your on about, here is a pic of the one i been looking into for the nova.

http://www.tws.serveftp.net/auctions/towbar.jpg

as far as the wheel well is concerned - i think im going to drop it. keep your views coming in! im still 50/50 but im not that concerned about towing any more. i will sort something else out. (like a nova pickup :P )

steve-o
14-01-04, 12:54 PM
my bro has had his spare removed, looks mint, can also have a nice centre exit.

get your self AA/RAC/Green flag ect cover then it dont matter if you get a flat

Ste_Nova
14-01-04, 01:03 PM
ste i thought that - i fitted one to my dads mondeo when he had it and also i have seen other towbars and know exactly what your on about, here is a pic of the one i been looking into for the nova.

http://www.tws.serveftp.net/auctions/towbar.jpg

as far as the wheel well is concerned - i think im going to drop it. keep your views coming in! im still 50/50 but im not that concerned about towing any more. i will sort something else out. (like a nova pickup :P )

thats like the one i have (bolts to wheel well and rear panel)..... i will scan a pic of the genuine vauxhall one tonight

Ste_Nova
14-01-04, 01:04 PM
(like a nova pickup :P )

you get a nova and i'll do the basic pickup work on it for you

Ste_Nova
14-01-04, 05:55 PM
pic of standard vauxhall tow bar

http://uploader.co.uk/images/towit.jpg

elsey197
14-01-04, 06:29 PM
theres a couple of those tow bars forsale on ebay

m.d.
14-01-04, 07:24 PM
ditch the bugger.

it will also save a little weight. you might be wanting to weld a piece of box section accross where the well was to put the strength back in the car

Jim
14-01-04, 09:50 PM
it will also save a little weight. you might be wanting to weld a piece of box section accross where the well was to put the strength back in the car

Depending on what thickness of metal is welded in place. You might not actually save that much weight.

Jim

srs1
14-01-04, 10:19 PM
i was going to say that, if you want the tow bar then, in a sense you will be gaining weight not loosing it. if your after a fast motor then mike, then loose the well.

Chris
15-01-04, 02:53 PM
get rid
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v39/noraslator/PA190061.jpg[/img]