PDA

View Full Version : Dbilas throttle bodies

scott.parker
13-01-04, 11:54 PM
well after reading lots in total vaxhall,and on hear is it worth me tuning my 1.6 8v with parts like the Dbilas T,B's..regal sell them and it says comes whith matching cam??1140..now should i consider tuning my1..6 up with the aid of mods like theys,if so what other type of mods are best to get max perfomance for????,oh and im looking for torque more then bhp cus i like sprints down the pod.. :D

beghy
14-01-04, 03:24 AM
with your standard engine management you get 20ish more bhp but you wont get more than 5ish foot/ibs of torque.

one of the last year summer TV mag tested Dbilas T,B's, read more about it!

peester
14-01-04, 07:41 AM
yeah they aren't full-on throttle-bodies they are direct replacement ones if you like. keeps standard vaux management, gives you 20 bhp, which is probably just more top whack, very little torque gain, looks a bit better, and is ok with cold starts,mot emissions. for a grand theyre ok. but not really how much better the car goes and feels with them on. are they noisy?

Dicko
14-01-04, 12:06 PM
nah, dont bother with them. with an 8v stick to 40's unles youv got lots of money to throw at it then go for full out throttle bodies.
your powerband will be far too short!!

rysmee
14-01-04, 07:01 PM
i've looked into this quite alot as i've just rebuilt my 1.6 8v,
the dbilas aren't worth doing as(to my understanding) they keep the standard afm etc etc.. this is a massive restriction on the engine.
i asked on here a while back if the afm from something bigger (cav etc) would work but knowone knew, and even then youd have to get the ecu chipped to allow for this.
what i opted for was a set of throttle bodies from nova tech, gets rid of most of the standard sensors, so no restrictions there, and can use larger injectors - obviously im getting management and dis as well- but all in its only about 1600, which isnt too bad for hopefully 30 ish hp, and mapable management aswell.

m.d.
14-01-04, 07:17 PM
looking at my injection on the 2.0 8v it looks like you could easily put it onto the 1.6 and it has a larger afm so should help if ure gunna go this route. i definately wouldnt tho as ive just found out the standard injection is crap. get 40s if u want power and they are loads cheaper

scott.parker
14-01-04, 07:33 PM
thaks every one for all the good advice....but now im still stuck on what the hell to do? cus i hear so mutch about 40's needing to be tuned up all the time??i really would like to go for something different by keeping the 1.6 8v insted of going the easy option of 2ltr 16v... :roll:

beghy
14-01-04, 10:25 PM
the twin40s are good for power but they do drink like a beast, the rally spec 1600 nova use to use the standard ARM and that made 150ish bhp. we all know its a restriction but keeping the ARM would save you MPG!

Dan
15-01-04, 01:54 AM
The carbs on mine didnt need hardly anything after 6 months of originally being setup and i get an average of 30mpg. Old wives tales are rife when it comes to carbs but its all in the setting up of the engine at a r/r that knows how to do them

rysmee
15-01-04, 07:34 PM
the air flow meter on the rally cars was not standard, it kept the same unit but the top bit which comes off and has some electrics in it i think- and was changed for a better unit, along with the ecu to complement it.

with carbs - i dont know how well they run but in my opinion injection is the way forward - especially in the winter!
and if you upgrade to proper tb's, (not dbilas) surely you can get larger injectors from cav etc and have the ecu chipped to deal with it?that surely would be the only restrictive part on the injetcion.. and cav injetors will ahve a flow rate good for 250-300 hp.

Stanton
15-01-04, 07:50 PM
jus to set the record straight the dbilas throttle bodies offer around 20bhp and 15 foot pounds of torque. the tb's a map and cam are included the the price.

its a good hassle free option, they are simple enough to be diy fitment and give really good power for the money.