PDA

View Full Version : nova smelling of petrol inside

sbayresuk
13-01-04, 05:36 PM
has this happened to anyone else?
Its been like this for a while but i really need to fix it. Any ideas?

nova_rally
13-01-04, 07:46 PM
Check your Fuel Pump for leaks (if it's carb) coz that can have this effect. (had it before in my old Rally Car with a mechanical camshaft driven pump) New Pump and it's gone. Better make sure first though - they cost upwards of ?40 new.

Alan

Snowface
13-01-04, 08:17 PM
i had this, i didn't tighten the jubilee clip on my fuel pipe fully.

mikeoxford
13-01-04, 10:43 PM
:lol: buy a few extra magic trees!

for me its one of the delights of t40s :!:

steve-o
13-01-04, 10:50 PM
mine smells of fuel if i fill the tank full

johnnynova
14-01-04, 12:28 PM
mine astra did that, but only wen i stupidly left the oil filler cap off.... buzz head...

James1
14-01-04, 03:22 PM
i have this. I have found that if you over fill the tank then the petrol will come out the breather and that make it smell.

Will F
14-01-04, 03:29 PM
I had this also. The fuel can run up the filler neck and down the breather. My breather had perished (only made of thin rubber) and leaked down,into the car.
It was giving me headaches etc!!

Nath
14-01-04, 04:58 PM
i had this problem i had to fit a new distributor and its fine now. i also think it might of been filling the tank up that did it aswell

Nova_Tek
14-01-04, 07:03 PM
Check all your fuel pipes for cracks etc if they are old and are a fabric coated hose then most likely they have worn out.

A good test is to get a bar of soap and little bit of water and apply it to the fuel hoses. Any fuel coming throgh should make the soap solution fizz or bubble.

Happened to me with my inlet and outlet hoses from the carb and the pump.

Hope this helps

m.d.
14-01-04, 07:13 PM
if the car is running rich or the exhaust is blowing it will smell inside.

if the car has been tuned it will more than likely smell as you are using more fuel in the engine.