PDA

View Full Version : how much would you pay

nova302
13-01-04, 04:11 PM
just a rough idea how much would every1 pay for a 1.3sr engine with twin 40's head work and cam?
Cheers

Will
13-01-04, 04:20 PM
what cam, what head work, anything to back this up? bottem end work? rebuild?

will

1992nova
13-01-04, 04:22 PM
there was a 1.4SR engine that sold on ebay which had 1k spent on it with rally cams, head work, new pistons, rebuild, lightened and balanced, unrun etc, basically the engine was like new and that only sold for ?85.

so personnally i would pay no more that ?50 - 100 TOPS if its mint with a rebuild!

Will
13-01-04, 04:30 PM
there was a 1.4SR engine that sold on ebay which had 1k spent on it with rally cams, head work, new pistons, rebuild, lightened and balanced, unrun etc, basically the engine was like new and that only sold for ?85.

so personnally i would pay no more that ?50 - 100 TOPS if its mint with a rebuild!

well thats ebay for you! do you have idea what your talking about? if you could get that engine for that price id be impressed.

head work IS expensive if done properly

a decent cam is the best part of 200 pounds

weber carbs readily go for 250 pounds

the engine as a whole is easily worth ?500 and if you dont think so the person selling so break the parts as theres ?500 that way easy......

?50? dream on..... the ebay one probably never actually sold ;) if it did sum1 got a bargain

will

nova302
13-01-04, 06:26 PM
not too sure about what work exactly but my neighbour is selling the engine for 500 just wondered what you guys thought before i buy it don't wanna get ripped off with it i'll have to check to see if theres anything to ack up the work done how will i do this

paul123
13-01-04, 06:54 PM
i would pay about ?200 no more

Ste_Nova
13-01-04, 06:58 PM
i would want to see recipts and rr print outs and drive the car the engine is in.... if its not in the car then i would pay ?150 then fit it then pay the rest when it is running

1992nova
13-01-04, 08:10 PM
u can buy a nearly new saxo VTS engine etc for ?450!!!!

so more than 50 - 100 for an old rubbish 1.3 engine is stupid!!

Dpnova
13-01-04, 08:26 PM
Mate there good engines, better than the french crap that destroys its self after to long

mikeoxford
13-01-04, 10:31 PM
i bought one a while back for ?250 outlining the work you said above.

the bottom end had a shit load of work done to it, and that was all that was worth keeping.

the twin 40s had bent shafts and were no good.

the head has a cracked / worn guide and valve was sticking.

so all in all the bottom end WAS worth the ?250 but the rest was p@nts.

cut my losses and sold everything i could from it.

made my money back, and bought a nova sport that had been reshelled into a metallic grey SR shell.

nova sport engine was all original, twin 40s were well maintained and ran VERY smoothly.

sport cost me ?200

moral of the story - you can indeed find bargains, but unless you have proof and you very happy with the deal, dont touch it with barge pole.

i was fortunate enough to get my money back on everything i bought and sold, and also managed to make money stripping / scrapping the sport, which almost paid for anything i had had to write off.

mikeoxford
13-01-04, 10:33 PM
just to finnish the story off :lol:

i bought a 1.6 bottom end, had lots of trouble with just novas, eventually moaned enough till i got a replacement bottom end.

rebored the bottom end 1650 and did some other work at same time.

fitted 40s of the sport. and also kent cam off the first engine.

thats where i am pretty much today