PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Tazzy
12-01-04, 10:24 PM
leading from my other posts in the other topic!

after sliding very closey to the two cars mentioned, my brakes seem to of give up the ghost!

my drivers side has started to squeek, may be due to warn pads, of which i will check on wednesday, it is also steering itself to the left as i brake which i can only assume is due to warn out pads?

problem is, after the lucily avoided incodents, the brakes wouldnt actually brake! i was trying to slow down from 50 (on a 50 road) to approach a junction, but it wouldnt have any of it, it didnt want to stop, same happened when pulling into my drive, almost going through the back end of my garage!

what could this mean? cheerz!

im hoping to be upgrading the brakes soon to either nova Gsi calipers/discs/pads or buying some 16V ATE's and buying new vented discs and pads from Vaux!

your advice is appreciated!

nova.pimp
12-01-04, 10:31 PM
ok mate. your car pulls when you brake? very high chance of one caliper grabbing b4 the other. if your upgrading to bigger calipers, then its prob solved. or you could try and free off the seized caliper. i'd upgrade. as for the noise, dont try and save money. change discs and pads and do a propa job. dont just bang um in. clean up calipers and also where the pads sit. :)

Tazzy
12-01-04, 11:03 PM
how much would i be looking at for getting some 16V ATE calipers from a scrappy, and new vented discs and pads from Vaux?

is there anything else i can do? what about the master cylinder and sevo? (whatever they are!)

from what has happened to me today, i want to make sure that everything on that car, including the brakes are fine!

cheerz!

nova.pimp
12-01-04, 11:17 PM
get some astra 16v calipers from a seller. look in parts(f) and you'll find some. from a scrappy aint good. they could be seized too or worse. as for discs and pad go see what pvd has to offer. depends on how much you wanna spend. any probs pm or email me ok mate. :)

srs1
13-01-04, 05:46 PM
it does sound like one of your calipers has seized. the seal kits can be bought from halfords for around a tenner, as for the pads and disks, try rally designs. www.raldes.co.uk i got some combi disks and braided equip hoses plus p+p for ?110 for gte.

Tazzy
15-01-04, 02:17 PM
its been ok lately, i htink it might be down to a worn out brake pad on the drivers side, therefore causing it to steer to the left as the left is gripping first!

but i could be wrong, the pad though looks ok from what i can see!

what about the master cylinder and servo, i dont know what these are as im a dumbass, so what can i do?

cheerz!

SKoob
15-01-04, 02:28 PM
i wouldn't get to bigger stoppers if your car is a nova spin, over powered braking is just as dangerous as underpowered brakes :|

Tazzy
15-01-04, 02:48 PM
true, but i am hoping to balance it out slightly by tuning the engine as i have the all clear from the insurance guys to add as many horses as i like! :D

providing a keep it as a 1.2, they are eve nok with me adding a 5-speed CL grbox!

which is nice...