PDA

View Full Version : Question For carb Experts...

nova_rally
11-01-04, 01:12 PM
How do you get the throttle off the damn thing? I'm feferring here to the cam type thing that the Throttle cable attaches to. I need to get it off so I can file down the bit that governs when the secondary barrell throttle starts to open. (so I can make it open earlier, like at say 10% of primary throttle opening)

Using a Pierburg 2e3 by the way.

Also, anybody know off hand what the bolts holding the auto choke cover on are? I've rounded one trying to get it off!

Alan

Snowface
11-01-04, 02:07 PM
i think when i took the autochoke off mine it had 3 screws holding it on, pretty certain of that.

nova_rally
11-01-04, 03:27 PM
oh, Haynes manual calls it the Segment Lever - just looked! lol!

So far I've managed to get the first spring off, and as far as I can see thats all thats holding it on, but I still can't remove the damn thing!

Where abouts are the 3 screws?

Oh and where can I get a replacement Secondary Throttle vacumn unit? This one's leaking.

Alan

rgv_stu
12-01-04, 10:05 AM
why do you want it to open earlier ??
half throttle is plenty really.

if you want to have a laff then take off the second throttle diaphram. then stick and elastic band around the linkage so that when the throttle is opened past halfway then both will open fully.
you will notice that as sooon as you boot it it will bog down for a sec and then go like feck. thats because there is no progression. its not really suitable for road use imo but you will get the idea of what a weber 32/34 is like.

nova_rally
12-01-04, 10:59 AM
I want the 2nd Throttle to open earlier coz at the moment on full throttle the 2nd barrell is only half open - I want it possible to get it more like 75% open on full throttle so that when I've finished tuning the rest of the engine (SRi head, 285 Cam etc) it will be able to provide enough fuel. (Don't want to go down the Twin 40 route coz of Noise issues on road rallies)

I've got a carb with a knackered leaking diagphragm sown the shed - that any good? lol! It wouldn't open fully anyway - it would still open the same amount coz it's mechanically limited - which is what I'm trying to change!

My Road use is exactly the same as Rally Use - I make no difference in my driving )except maybe using indicators.... :lol: ) so I'm not bothered about it being a bit jumpy!

Once I've got it all done it will be rolling roaded to get it all running nice....

Alan

rgv_stu
12-01-04, 02:31 PM
at the moment on full throttle the 2nd barrell is only half open - I want it possible to get it more like 75% open on full ........

mine opens up fully on the second choke ???

nova_rally
12-01-04, 02:37 PM
Interesting... I'll have to go have another look at that then...

Alan