PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to use ....

nova_rally
10-01-04, 07:32 PM
...new gaskets between inlet manifold and head and between carb and inlet manifold? Wanna swap the 1.3 manifold onto the 1.3 head but keeping the 1.4 carburettor without disconnecting it from the car! (can't b arsed with trying 2 hook all those pipes up again by using the 1.3 Carb!)

Oh, and do I really need to remove the Alternator like the Haynes says? I was p;anning on just removing the airbox and then unbolting the manifold and carb and just swapping the inlets whilst someone holds the carb for me! :wink:

(just to clarify why I'm doing this its because I have a 1.4 SR with an Astra 1.3 head on it but using the old 1.4 Inlet manifold. I now wanna swap it for the proper 1.3 Inlet.)

Alan

(wow - essay length! :lol: )

mowgli
10-01-04, 08:29 PM
as the inlet manifold also contains part of the water system, new gaskets are essential.

the exh manifold is a metal/ composite design, and just putting exhaust sealant on it is good enough.

removing the alternator is a 2 minute job, and it makes getting the nuts off the manifold much easier, unless you are a vet, and enjoy sticking your hand in tight holes

nova_rally
11-01-04, 10:39 AM
better order some gaskets then - where can I get them from?

I fitted bucket seats in my last car - I know all about hard to reach bolts!

Alan

rgv_stu
12-01-04, 09:57 AM
if you grease the gaskets then you can reuse them again and again

nova_rally
12-01-04, 11:01 AM
both gaskets are broken so I need new ones. Can't get the carb-manifold 1 off though.

Alan

dathers
13-01-04, 02:04 AM
surprising as it may sound but vauxhall sell gaskets!

nova_rally
13-01-04, 09:34 AM
Not surprising - but where do I get then from as Vauxhall's dealer network hasn't gripped my corner of North Wales yet!

Alan

robb
13-01-04, 09:49 AM
try in a car shop, but you will need to ask for them and they will probably spend 2hours looking through books to tell you they have none in stock and need to order some.

Oh then they overcharge!

a2lt16v
13-01-04, 09:59 AM
WOULDN'T AS YOU SEEM HAPPY TO REUSE A ONE POUND GASKET HAVE A LOOK ON BLUE PETER WEBSITE I THINK THEY MADE THE INLET MANIFOLD ONE WITH A FROSTIES CEREAL BOX LAST WEEK :lol:

Ste_Nova
13-01-04, 02:39 PM
Not surprising - but where do I get then from as Vauxhall's dealer network hasn't gripped my corner of North Wales yet!

Alan

Caernarfon Garage
Llanwnda
Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL54 7YN
Phone: 01286 830227 Fax: 01286 831430

nova_rally
13-01-04, 07:40 PM
uch, them.... but if that's the only place....

Alan

mikeoxford
13-01-04, 10:36 PM
you could try car spares.

dirt cheap - esp with staff discount :D

but be prepared to argue with them for yonks whilst they tell you the only inlet gasket they do is square ports shape :lol:

had to draw a picture before he believed me they did round port designs :roll:

nova_rally
14-01-04, 06:47 PM
lol! sounds dodgy!

Just a thought - do Partco do them? I can get them locally then! (Via Sbardun Motorsport)

Alan