PDA

View Full Version : Bucket seat fitting

Beano
10-01-04, 06:16 PM
I bought some bucket seats off my mate the other day, and he assured me that all i need to do to fit them is drill 2 holes and bolt the sub frame to the floor. The front holes in the subframe line up with the original bolt holes.

Does this sound right? The main problem that concerns me is that the floor itself is about 1mm thick, and doesnt feel particularly strong, so i cant be a very good anchor point for my seats...can it?

How have other people fitted their seats?

Cheers to everyone who might be able to help!

mark_GSi
10-01-04, 06:35 PM
yea my cobra daytonas were like that :lol:

mark_GSi
10-01-04, 06:36 PM
i just drilled the floor then bolted it down, seems very secure, had um in for at least 6 months with no probs

-Bruce-
11-01-04, 11:31 AM
i welded some frames in that went from 1 sill to the other and was welded in the middle!! so u just then bolt the seat frames to the frames in the car.
this helps with the strenght of the car aswell (abit)

Jim
11-01-04, 03:20 PM
The floor will be more than strong enough to hold the weight of your seats and yourself. My original buckets were bolted through the floor and they were fine. It's only if your chassis is rotten that you might experience some movement.

Jim

Philsutton
11-01-04, 05:58 PM
Mine was the same as well, the front holes line up but the backs need drilling.

Ste_Nova
11-01-04, 06:09 PM
washers!!

dave.gsi
12-01-04, 09:19 AM
^^^ yep.

bought a pack of nice big washers and put one inside and one outside. feels a lot safer now

Beano
12-01-04, 10:28 AM
Cheers guys. I've decided to go fo the washer route! big fookin HUUGEE ones. Then if i'm still not happy i'll weld some supports in somewhere! (last resort, as my welding is shocking and it will look crap, and probably make the car weaker sumhow :lol: )

Thanks again

Ojc
12-01-04, 02:55 PM
Can't you buy some sub frames to fit them to the original seat carriers?

mikeoxford
13-01-04, 11:03 PM
along the same lines.....

what came with my roll cage was a metal plate with two holes in that spaned the two holes where the bolts went through.

when my car is ripped apart this month i plan to do the same to my buckets, in place of the nice big washer i put there put a six inch strap or similar instead of the washers, just to help a bit.

anyone who knows me knows im not a big chap, but if you sit in the seat and really rock it you find the seats wobble a lil.

and the chassis of my car is pretty sound. except for the one rear arch and slam pannel rust :lol: still - wouldnt be the same without some of the old metal worm would it!

Chris
15-01-04, 12:53 PM
i managed to use the universal subframes that i got with my seats and the nova subframes to mount the seats in the original seat mountings from vaux