PDA

View Full Version : more power from a 1.2????????

haughie
09-01-04, 09:28 PM
can any 1 tell me how a can get more power from my 1.2 (its a 1992 k plate)

*NoVa_BoY*
09-01-04, 09:53 PM
have a look at this mate

http://www.novaload.net/forums/article.php?t=66981

Snowface
09-01-04, 11:54 PM
that link/article is mainly for the 1.2 carb and as u have a 1.2i it won't help u much.

U can get a 'Green' induction kit for the 1.2i. Dunno if it adds power.

To unlock 5-10bhp from ur 1.2i all u need to do is take out the Cat in ur exhaust. (get a system from a 1.3sr.)

mikeyredtop
10-01-04, 04:34 PM
or buy my cam...

wrigleys
10-01-04, 07:41 PM
it's not worth tuning a 1.2 cos you'll spend loads of money and not get very far :oops: ,

But as for tuning it get yourself:

A SR 4-2-1 manifold and down pipe, you can still use a GTE/GSI system but it's a bigger diameter.

if it's injection try getting it chipped, or get yourself an MPI (multi point injection) system, or try a GTE/GSI fuel pump (not to sure about that though but the GTE/GSI run 3.0 bar or psi can't remeber which, as the 1.2 runs something silly like 0.8 bar/psi.

But if it's carb get a SR carb (twin choke) and get it set up properly.

Get a Kent cam, High flow air filter, try a full ashley exhaust system,

But at the end of the day your looking at get 60BHP maybe 70 if your lucky, but my advise is get a 1.4SR/SRI or a 1.6 GTE/GSI lump and put it in, you won't regret it :D

Aragorn
10-01-04, 08:33 PM
ook forget all the sr exhaust parts - all you'll do is melt the engine

u need an SRi manifold or a LATE gsi manifold with lambda probe

an SRi/GTE downpipe coupled with a gte system (OE or aftermarket) to finish it off

if u wanna get serious then i'd say swap the head for a carb one and fit an SR camshaft while your in there - this gives u much better valves and more lift

corsa spi airbox and a vectra 1.6 cone filter or a green nova 1.2i filter should round it all off

prolly looking at about 60bhp with that lot

advantage is you can get most of those bits from a scrappy so it wont cost all the much really

Beano
12-01-04, 12:06 PM
Wrigley wrote :

it's not worth tuning a 1.2 cos you'll spend loads of money and not get very far ,
and
But at the end of the day your looking at get 60BHP maybe 70 if your lucky, but my advise is get a 1.4SR/SRI or a 1.6 GTE/GSI lump and put it in, you won't regret it

You have to remember that not everyone can afford the insurance on a GTE/GSi or SR/SRi, which is probably why they got a 1.2 in the first place.

Though in all fairness, if you can afford to spend the money on a 1.2 to get good (for a 1200cc at least) performance, then you can probably afford the insurance on a 1.3 SR or bigger, so at least consider the engine swap.
Only bother tuning the 1.2 if you have a good reason to do so, don't half do a job if you intend to swap the engine in a short length of time, you will be wasting money better spent on other parts.