PDA

View Full Version : whats the best cam for a 1.2 modded carb...

johnnynova
09-01-04, 02:49 PM
put my 1.3 manifold and pierburg 2e carb on my 1.2, running nice, took it to my mechanic, he tuned it up nice but said if i want to get the best out of it i need to put higher lift and duration cams on as the 2e can supply more petrol than my car can burn at the moment.

i cud be cheap and get one from a scrapped gte/gsi but i was thinking a nice new cam with all the extra bits wud be good?

so what cam 275/285? or sumthing else???

i am adding a 4 branch manifold, and full exhaust system soon aswell if that helps and am getting a 1.4 jet for the carb. (its got a k&n on it)

cheers

john

Snowface
09-01-04, 11:40 PM
i did the same as u and put a 2e3 and K&N on. worked very well. Mine was from a 1300 which i think was plenty. a 1.4 wouldn't make much diff i think.

As for cams the 1.4sr would be the best Nova cam to use as the GTE/GSI/SRI will not fit the 1.2/1.3/1.4 carbed heads. But what i would do is get a cam kit from Kentcams or piper as getting a 2nd hand cam u are most likely to have a worn one that wouldn't make a great deal of difference + u need new followers anyway.

The Kent ast1k if you want more power but still a nice tick over or the ast2k if you want slight more power and at the top end of rev's and a more lumpy tickover.

Cheese
10-01-04, 03:37 AM
GTE/early GSI/SRI will fit, just the problem of no lobe on the cam to operate the fuel pump! Although this isnt a problem if running on an injection engine..

The need for new followers depends on how worn the current ones are..Although if money is no object, new ones are a good idea.

A "Performance" cam shaft is always going to give you more power, and further tuning potential. An AST2 will give you more power than and AST1 (don't worry about lumpy idle), and give a better basis for further tuning. Depends on how far you want to take the engine and your budget..
If money is an option, then go for the 1400 SR cam as mentioned, if you want more performance, and can afford to spend a bit more go for an aftermarket version.. :)

johnnynova
11-01-04, 04:09 PM
cheers peeps, i am looking into the AST2 to see how much i can get one, but as i am jobless it may be something for the future!