PDA

View Full Version : engine

paul123
08-01-04, 06:20 PM
how hard would it be to put a 1600cc engine in my nova saloon 1200cc spi
some people said i would only have to bypass the fuel pump that comes with spi engines

thanks

Dicko
08-01-04, 06:22 PM
bypass? wot the hell?

you wud need to fit an MPi pump from a corsa gsi, but cut off the plastic tail on the pump before fitting!

paul123
08-01-04, 07:07 PM
i have a 1.2 spi eng in my nova can i put a 1.6 carb engine in

Dicko
08-01-04, 08:22 PM
ahhh, nice to tell us you ment a carb engine. yes its posible you wud just need a pressure regulator (?50)

but why? unless you mean to run on twin carbs. the normal carb 1.6 engines are crap and really low on power!

geordie_racer
09-01-04, 01:25 AM
paul you need to be abit clearer with your post. 1stly what 1600 engine are you wanting to put in? there are the following options

1.6 carb (16SV iirc 82bhp)
1.6 8v (E16SE 100bhp)
1.6 16v (C16XE 109bhp)

i no theres more variations on the above but for now the above will do, theres no point putting the 1.6 carb engine in if your going to leave it standard as it makes lame power, if your going to change the carb then maybe go this way. also if your going to use a decent carb ie. a webber of some sort then id still be tempted to go with at least the 1.6 8v as it has more power to start due mainly to the better design of the engine although yes the fuel injection helps. to fit any of these engines goes like this

1.6 carb, this is a big block engine so the engine mounts, driveshafts and gearbox will all need changing to fit the engine, then you will need to disconnect the injection fuel pump(just remove the wire from the top of it) and rerun the fuel hose through the mechancial pump on the head and back to the carb.

1.6 8v will go straight in just about, although you will need a mpi fuel pump which can be found in, most mk3 astras, corsa gsi/sri, nova sri/gte/gsi and most 2 litre vauxhalls(yes i no theres more but that will do for now) and a little bit of wiring will need to be done for the new injection, although if you chose to convert this engine to carbs then the wiring doesnt need doing and the fuel pump becomes the same as the above engine

1.6 16v very similer to the 1.6 8v for fitting except a pulley needs changing and a few hoses are different but right now thts not important as

you need to tell us what engine it is your looking at and what you plan to do with it so we can give you the proper advice you need instead of general comments like mine above,

but to round things off, all off the above engines can be fitted within a couple of hours easily and require no major changes to the car for them to work

chris

paul123
09-01-04, 12:42 PM
i am thinking of put a astra 16.00cc engine in.And yes i would like to put a webber on it

geordie_racer
09-01-04, 01:35 PM
is the astra engine a carb as standard? do you no the engine number or power figure for it?

chris

Will
09-01-04, 01:43 PM
approx 85hp

SMALL BLOCK not big block, the 1.8 8v is the big block one to look out for:P

geordie_racer
09-01-04, 01:58 PM
the 1.6 big block i referred to was the old big block found in mk2 cavs but it doesnt matter.

paul how much you getting the engine for a you can get a nova 1.6 gte/gsi engine for circa ?100 in decent condition which has more power to start with and will gain even more with a properly setup pair of carbs. which carbs where you looking at a webber 32/34 or twin 40's? anyway id still go for a gte/gsi nova engine as there better power from the outset

chris

Will
09-01-04, 02:01 PM
yup

E16SE

or C16SE

are the ones to go for

E16SV is hmmmmmmm, having said that i am very intereted in the following:

E16SE bottem end vs E16SV are they the same? if so i have a clever ploy for the younger members wanting 1600 engines, lmfao

geordie_racer
09-01-04, 02:15 PM
hmmm epc doesnt list a part number for the blocks themselves the pictures look very similer so id assume the same small block is used for both engines but with different internals ie. crank/pistons etc.

why what is your plan?

chris

Will
09-01-04, 02:29 PM
tell me the insurance group for E16SE and E16SV ;) lol

2litreturbo
09-01-04, 06:43 PM
if you wanna know if the blocks are the same, go to a motor factors and ask to see a head gasket for each one. If all the holes line up, then they 'should' work

_JH_
09-01-04, 07:50 PM
Here we go again.

paul123. if you want to put a 1.6 carb engine in your nova do it. if you want to add a twin choke downdraught weber instead of dcoe's go ahead and let us know how you get on.

or scrap your idea on someone else's say so and fit a gte engine or a 1.4 with a 1.3 head and weber 32/34 blah blah blah

in answer to your question, I don't know wether the spi fuel pump is in the bay or at the tank, but yes you can get rid of it and use the fuel pump from the donor car. it may or may not need some fiddling, but while your about it remember to replace all the rubber fuel hoses, including any near the tank, if you can't remember when they were replaced last.

As for fitting a weber, perhaps a 40DFAV on which i'm pretty sure both chokes open simultaneously (perhaps someone with a weber haynes book can confirm this) or something similar

Aragorn
09-01-04, 09:10 PM
there is no E16SV

E16SE and 16SV have identical blocks/pistons/crank etc

sv has a shitty head similar to the 1.4sr
se is the GTE

as for running the pump, the spi pump is low pressure to begin with so u could get away with just hooking up a filterking or summat and running it like that (this is how my mates spi -> sr conversion was hooked up by me cos he didnt wanna shell out for a new fuel tank after just buying a new spi tank a few months before) the problem with this is simple - all standard engines have fuel safety in mind

if u crash in a carb and the fuel lines are cut the engine stalls and fuel stops being pumped, if u crash in a SPi/MPi the ecu detects the engine stall and cuts the fuel pump, for your setup the pump would be wired to the ignition - u crash and break a fuel line the pump wont stop untill u turn the ignition off

the only resolution would be to install a proper carburettor fuel tank and run it off that the way its designed to be run

i would suggest going for the GTE lump instead however as injection engine is much more reliable and more powerful than the carb

Aragorn
09-01-04, 09:14 PM
as a further to the big/small block point

the 16S was the big block 1600